Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1
    Posted: 03 September 2004 at 2:00pm

Hey Rog,

I just finished a pair of X1's with a slight modification.

The backdoor is as wide as the cabinet, both pieces of wood at the back of my cabs is of the same size.

So i screwed it shut on pieces of multiplex that are glued to the sides and floor, the 4th part is like in the drawing.

Apart from that i am using them "upside down" because i wanted the connectors in the door and i like them as high up as possible.

The speakers are Celestion G18Q400 that i already had, and were doing nothing. I am saving up for PD's.

The cabs performed very nice last weekend at a little 3-day outdoor blues "festival"  

Thanks for your designs, and for this website!

I will email some pic's to you, as i have no webspace to publish them.

Offcourse you can use them to your liking. Unfortunately the pic's are without the grille, they are not ready yet, it will be 10 mm. foam on perforated steel over the whole front.

Adios!!

If an experiment goes well, something is wrong.
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 11:05pm

Hi Carl,

There is no upside down with the X1. It must be used on its side so that both ports touch the floor.

Also don't cover the ports with foam. If you do this you stop the port from working and the output is almost half of what it should be.

Rog.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2004 at 7:25am

Hi Rog, thanks for this quick reply.

Okay, i have used the cab's with one port on the floor last weekend, i will test the difference asap.

I did not know that foam would make a real difference, i normally use 10 mm thick speakerfoam.

It can be cloth too this time, i suppose that this will not influence the ports?

I also was planning to "close" the ports with perforated steel plate, this will also be a bad thing then probably?

Another thing i stumbled accross when building the cabs was, that when cutting the mitres on the baffle, on my workmate tablesaw, that the sheet "walks away" from the saw.

Do you have an idea how to do this better, apart from getting a professional table, i have no room for that.

I have ofcourse read your tippages on building cabs before starting, making the angle on the saw was a good tip, i set it to 25 deg, to get the 22 i needed.

I have built speakercabs before, these X1's were my best built upto now.

If an experiment goes well, something is wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply