Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XOC TH118 and Danely TH118

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirck50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XOC TH118 and Danely TH118
    Posted: 20 February 2018 at 6:40pm
Are XOC TH118 and Danely TH118 the same box?
Hello!!!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 7:22pm
No.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 8:54pm
Hi I designed the TH18
The general folding layout is close but  the TH18 was based on the fold used for the J Bell SS15 - The overall dimensions are the same as the TH118 as at the time I thought that must be big enough. We were brainstorming loads of ideas in the DiyAudio flat to 30 thread when I drew the Xoc1 TH18. I had no idea at the time what a Danley TH118 was like internally.
There are differences and it won't take too much time on line to find out what they are.
So now I am in the embarrassing position of having drawn a speaker that is close to being a commercial clone. As it was so close I did not ever issue a redrawn layout - many builders have adapted the fold slightly to make it even closer to the Danley layout.
The Danley TH118 has far more compression at the throat than the Xoc1 TH18 - Hopefully that has been useful for many DIY builders that have used many different drivers, as the compression ratio for the Danley fold requires a very robust driver.
The DiyAudio thread is now up to 720000 views - Although my joinery skills are not that good, if you follow the drawing all the parts will fit together - which might have somthing to do with why it's proved so popular!
sirck50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirck50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2018 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

Hi I designed the TH18
The general folding layout is close but  the TH18 was based on the fold used for the J Bell SS15 - The overall dimensions are the same as the TH118 as at the time I thought that must be big enough. We were brainstorming loads of ideas in the DiyAudio flat to 30 thread when I drew the Xoc1 TH18. I had no idea at the time what a Danley TH118 was like internally.
There are differences and it won't take too much time on line to find out what they are.
So now I am in the embarrassing position of having drawn a speaker that is close to being a commercial clone. As it was so close I did not ever issue a redrawn layout - many builders have adapted the fold slightly to make it even closer to the Danley layout.
The Danley TH118 has far more compression at the throat than the Xoc1 TH18 - Hopefully that has been useful for many DIY builders that have used many different drivers, as the compression ratio for the Danley fold requires a very robust driver.
The DiyAudio thread is now up to 720000 views - Although my joinery skills are not that good, if you follow the drawing all the parts will fit together - which might have somthing to do with why it's proved so popular!
Hi Xoc. Thank you for that detailed explanation. I really do appreciate it. So would you say that the B&C 18 SW115 subwoofer would suit your design? I have a pair of these subs in my possession and I cannot decide what enclosure to build for them. I am going around the forum looking for ideas. Space is not an issue, and I require responses from around 30hz - 35hz up.
Hello!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply