Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xp and SSDs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xp and SSDs
    Posted: 26 February 2013 at 12:19am
I was informed by someone (who will probably read this..) that xp doesnt know how to deal with SSDs properly and will destroy my drive because the writing function is different....

just wondering if anyone knows anything about this?? and whether I can make it deal properly with the SSD without upgrading my operating system?

thanks a lot

Edited by bassmish - 26 February 2013 at 12:19am
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 12:30am
Why are you still using XP? Smile

Edit: (I make no sense sometimes)

AFAIK , TRIM isn't supported in XP - so not good for long term lifespan of the SSD!

Edited by infrasound - 26 February 2013 at 12:32am
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 12:35am
what is wrong with xp. especialy when using older lappys?
i for 1 use tiny xp  on a fair few older lappys that are used for differant things.
with no problems what so ever. but then again i dont use ssd drives.
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 3:10am
infra. yeah I think thats what he said. I actually updated to windows 8 recently. I love it on my general machine, but for my music production installation I am having some compatability issues with software. I havent noticed any difference in terms of speed or anything between the two. but some of my favorite plugins are now crashing. but if it's gonna damage my ssd, then I'm not using xp anymore. thats the reasoning behind it. thanks for the info. :)
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by bassmish bassmish wrote:

infra. yeah I think thats what he said. I actually updated to windows 8 recently. I love it on my general machine, but for my music production installation I am having some compatability issues with software. I havent noticed any difference in terms of speed or anything between the two. but some of my favorite plugins are now crashing. but if it's gonna damage my ssd, then I'm not using xp anymore. thats the reasoning behind it. thanks for the info. :)

I typically don't upgrade OS, until at least 6months after the first SP.

Windows 7 Ultimate is fab, don't see myself going to '8 for at least 2-3x years.

Installed '7 on old 2Gb ram laptops replacing Vista, humongous speed improvement, on same replacing XP, more stable, solid.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Grinner Grinner wrote:

what is wrong with xp. especialy when using older lappys?
i for 1 use tiny xp  on a fair few older lappys that are used for differant things. 
with no problems what so ever. but then again i dont use ssd drives.

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Installed '7 on old 2Gb ram laptops replacing Vista, humongous speed improvement, on same replacing XP, more stable, solid.

Because Win7 is a worthy upgrade!

IMO, XP is fine if it's meant for an ancient or 'dedicated to some task' laptop, but otherwise Win7 walks all over it Smile
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 11:36am
so xp will ruin my SSD?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 4:13pm
my wifes quad core runs XP on a 64gig SSD... its been up and running now for over 18months.... used everyday for hours and hours. no probs. its the flag ship of our fleet.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 6:20pm
I could be mistaken, but there might some SSD drives that have better built in garbage collection that doesn't rely on the OS so much

Mish, thought about Win 7 32bit at all? Partial solution possibly.......
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:09pm
hi huw. well yeah. but then again. I went and bought windows 8! didn't think I'd have problems.
my ssd is a 60 GB OCZ agility 3 I think??? what do you think?

I mean. I did actually have a problem with the PC recognising the SSD for a couple of days, which is what made me start having worries it was damaged, then I spoke to a friend who told me xp wasnt able to treat it right and might have caused the problem. and since I only got that ssd a year ago, I really wasn't up for wrecking it. and feeling rather behind the times I got 8.

the compatibilty issues are mostly with waves plugins, and with a chronic vst echo called bionic delay, the feedback doesn't work!! - this is very frustrating! but I have outboard gear too so it's not the end of the world.

they crash cubase with an 'APPCRASH' warning.
at first they were giving a different warning. I cant remember what it was called but I turned on DEP for cubase and that error was replaced with appcrash. google seems to think it's something to do with 64 bit compatibility. but my xp version is 64 bit and was installed identically to howit is now on windows 8.

I'm just not up for wasting time trying to make 8 work since xp works fine. but similarly, I dont wanna have to buy another hdd.

I have heard similar things from windows 764bit and incompatibility with plugins, so I wouldn't want to risk that.

so the real question is, how do I work out if xp will damage/has damaged the ssd? - if it is likely to cause damage, then I will just have to make 8 work through lots of googling etc

appreciate your help
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:12pm
i got the same SSD running XP sp3... 18months no probs. ever.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:16pm
hmmmmm...... I am very tempted to just get back on xp. I mean, when I had the problem just before I got 8. I ended up replacing the SATA cable, and so maybe it was that that was the problem. I'm not sure, wasn't very systematicas I was panicking!!

obviously I'm keeping 8 on general installation cos it's PRO! - feel like I've been living in the dark ages
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>