Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xp and SSDs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 9:07pm
Hah, I did read it :)
Yep no TRIM support in XP so not good for long term lifespan of most SSDs.  Some have better garbage collection, I think the Samsung drives and one or two others may have TRIM/similar internally so don't need the OS to have the commands built in (which also means you can put them in a RAID array if you wanted >_<)

Whether it's a good idea depends on how many long you want your drive to last. Coupla years, fine, 5 or so then maybe not.  There's a couple of programs that will estimate remaining lifespan of your drive based on SMART data, can't remember what they're called (SSD Life perhaps?).

Definitely been in the dark ages...
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:14pm
I used that program friss!! my ssd will last till 2022 apparently!
Friss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:30pm
Is that cus you changed to win8 >_<
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 12:50am
I got given a notebook with an upgraded ssd init but it was running windows so I dropped Linux mint 14 on there, you'll never look back.

Will take you a few weeks to get use to it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12