Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xp3000 n crest 10004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Absulum Absulum wrote:

i asked Andy about the Matrix xp3000h on 4Ohm bridge a few months ago, ino you've decided against it anyway, but just for the reference he said dont do it. That said i know some people have run 4ohm bridge on a regular basis without problem...

might depend on music style and cabs (effective impedance minimum), with roots/dub etc. the amp will be stressed more than with house music and the likes.

Have you ever used or heard a nathon 1400? 2200W at 4ohm, strong even on 13/16A..
(spanked my fane 1500s quite well, 2 a side)

Steptone PA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steptone PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:55pm
Been lookin at nathon n they are rare

If goin for one amp ive been offered a crown 5000vz

Would this be a better option runnin 2 scoops a side in 4 ohm to a pair of matrix runnin one driver off each channel in 8 ohm?

Cloud, Scoop n JBL nut.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:09pm
depends what sound you are after..
5000VZ sound fuller due to more distortion as many users admit.
(manufacturer stated output at 40hm pCH is even below your 3000XPs)
might sound good for you, might not, best to borrow one and test with your cabs..

thinking about it using 2 amps as you do now has some benefits regarding reliability and having a "spare" amp if one dies mid gig, show will go on, bit quieter but hey at least you could finish your set:)

If you like their sound and output i would not change the amps for another one that might not give you much more off 13A plugs. Use the saved money for something else you wish to add to your rig ;)

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:10pm
Crest 10004 is essentially two 8001's in the same box.  It should sound fantastic, however have you seen the size/weight of one?

IMO the Crests and Crowns sound quite different, it depends what you like.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steptone PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:32pm
Hi Chris (weird i just PMed u)

U not a fan of the Crown??

Ref the Crest its the weight that has put me off. I was being offered this for £500 so u can see why I was tempted but it is...

145 lbs (65.83 kg.)!!!ShockedWacko

Cloud, Scoop n JBL nut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steptone PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

depends what sound you are after..
5000VZ sound fuller due to more distortion as many users admit.
(manufacturer stated output at 40hm pCH is even below your 3000XPs)
might sound good for you, might not, best to borrow one and test with your cabs..

thinking about it using 2 amps as you do now has some benefits regarding reliability and having a "spare" amp if one dies mid gig, show will go on, bit quieter but hey at least you could finish your set:)

If you like their sound and output i would not change the amps for another one that might not give you much more off 13A plugs. Use the saved money for something else you wish to add to your rig ;)

thanks the spare amp is def a good factor
Cloud, Scoop n JBL nut.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:35pm
And you will be tripping fuses when you turn it on.. no softstart on these afaik
Turbomax55* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbomax55* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2021 at 11:29pm
Is a 4 0hms amplifier any good for 8 0hms speakers ? How do you work the maths out ?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 5:56am
Amplifiers don't have "Ohms" in that sense. They are designed to deliver a certain amount of power into a load.

The power they can (safely)  deliver depends on various factors, mainly the size of the power supply and the capacity of the output stage to deliver the current needed without overheating. For any voltage swing on the output, the current will depend on the impedence of the load.

The 4 or 8 ohm figure for speakers is just a nominal figure, but gives you a ballpark in which to play. In general, an 8 ohms load will draw half as much current as 4 ohms, so from Ohms Law, half the power as well.

You need to look at the specs of the amp. You will see that, for example, an amp that delivers 100W into 8 ohms, will give about 180W into 4. The "missing" 20W is due to losses when the amp delivers the extra current.

Hope that helps.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12