Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xtro style single kick bin...advice...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xtro style single kick bin...advice...?
    Posted: 04 June 2009 at 1:05pm
Hi all,

I am in the process of making 4 single kick bins based on the xtro 15" horn, something like an fsv15 that I found here on the forum, to go on top of my 4 punishers and under my midtop cabs(phase pluged 8" fiberglass horn + 1" loaded with 8pe21 and de500) that i finished a month ago. I was about to build the xtro as it is but I really have a transportation issue. I know that the xtro is quite a compact cab for what it is but there's no much space left for it. I can just about fit the puns, midtops and my amprack on my friends mini-van so splitting the xtro into single sections is the ideal solution for me so that they can easily fit in another car or so.

I have made two designs and the plots seem good. Though I don't really get wich one is right. Do I measure the end of the throat and s1 parallel to the baffle and slowly bend the horn till the horn's mouth like in plan B or I just take a vertical measurment and an immediate bend from 45 to 0 like plan A?????

Also would such a design sound ok up to 330hz or do I completely miss the xtro straight horn advantages by having a 45 degree refraction???

Here are the plans and plot.

plan A

plan B

black=A, grey=B

thanks in advance guys
any advice appreciated
Smile

breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 2:12pm
hmmm both look pretty good
all i can suggest is building one out of mdf and seeing how it copes to 330hz

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 2:14pm
Plan A is right.. for the throat dimensions you have to take the smallest area between the driver and the start of the horn expansion, which in this case is clearly the vertical measurement down from the end of the chamber panel/ start of flare.

In your second plan, if you look at where you have taken the 14cm measurement, the  actual area would again be calculated at the most constricted point... so again measured vertically down at the beginning of the flare, giving a much smaller throat area.
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 2:14pm
any chance of the hornresp inputs too?
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
illex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 3:38pm
Thanks for the input guys.

Jethrocker , that's what I thought also about plan A being right. For plan B input parms I kept s1 the same and just decreased Vtc , but as you say that would be quite wrong. I should have kept Vtc the same and change s1 to a vertical measurment something like 10x47=470 instead of 14x47=658 and horn lenght should be something around 46 instead of 49. Though that would give quite a different responce.

Here are the input parameters.

for plan A

for plan B as it is actually on the plan with the throat chamber ending at the 14cm marking parrallel to the baffle and not vertical

and here are the params and spl responce for plan B after what Jethrock suggested.

LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2009 at 10:28pm
Looking good! Thanks for the plot's!
drivebycar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 1:01pm
What driver are you considering for this? The same as the 15 in the Xtro?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by drivebycar drivebycar wrote:

What driver are you considering for this? The same as the 15 in the Xtro?

Looks like B&C 15NDL76.

Watching this thread with interest, I wanted to do similar but phase plugged and possibly with a longer horn (would end up a very deep cab!).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 1:55pm
Also watching this thread with interest. Would like to know how it turns out in real testing as would definately like some over some punishers if they perform well Smile
illex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 2:36pm
Yes , driver is NDL76, I know it's not the best option for a horn loaded cabinet but the sims looked good with it and I got a really good deal for 4 of them so thought i could give it a try. (hope the cone doesnt complain) The original xtro driver or B&C NW76 or PAUDIO SN15B also sim good with it. 
I just ordered the ply to build oneSmile. Hopefully end of next week will be ready and if all turns out as expected will build the other 3.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 2:50pm
Keep us posted!
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2009 at 3:04pm
try out wn-15s in model A....mmmm! almost flat 90-200hz Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>