Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xtro wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xtro wiring
    Posted: 06 September 2013 at 1:39pm
Hi all,
probably some silly questions, but I'm pretty new to this (although I have been reading as much on here as I can)
I'm planning to build some Xtro's and punishers for a new system (with my brother-in-law who is a v.good carpenter).
I was wondering: how would i wire the Xtro's up?
would I drive each 15" driver seperately, as well as seperately driving the 8" and 1" compression driver?

Are the horn flares avaliable still?
Thanks
chris
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 1:52pm
Yes you would wire it like that.

You can either use Neutrik 8 pole Speakons and wire the 15"s on +/- 1, the 8" on +/- 2 and 1" on +/- 3, you would need 6 or 8 core speaker cable for this.

Another way would be to use 2 x 4 pole speakers and wire the 15"s on +/-1 of one connector then 8" on +/- 1 and 1" on +/- 2 of the other connector. You can use a set of 4 core cables or 1 4 core and 1 2 core cable.

The first method is pretty fail safe, the second can lead to the cables getting plugged in the wrong way round which is not a good idea, the wrong frequency through the a driver at high power can lead to burnt voice coils. I am not saying it will necessarily blow but it would be better to treat everyone like an idiot and set it up so the mistake can not be made.

You can get hold of the horn flares from Bluearan.
nativelayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2013 at 9:34am
Thanks for the advice,
I'll assume I'm that idiot and think about the 8 core route. Smile
Would that require a patch bay?
From what i can gather the Xtro is a bit of an all in one top box:
it manages HF, Mid, low mid and can go low enough for the kick.
would you eq the 15" driver seperately to do this - or have i got the wrong end of the stick? 
I'm now thinking of 186 horns underneath (2 xtros + 4 186 horns). Is there definitely any reason why this would not work?
azlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote azlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:14am
in terms of the wiring, you might need something like a patch bay at the amp end, to keep it simple, lets assume you are using all 2ch amps, and that ch1 of each amp is doing the left stack and ch2 is doing the right stack,

you might be looking at something like

high amp - > NL8 pins 1+, 1-
mid amp - > NL8 pins 2+, 2-
low amp -> NL8 pins 3+, 3-
sub amp -> NL8 pins 4+, 4-

this wiring could be done using a chassis mount female NL8 on a plate on the back on the amp rack (or two of these, 1 for each stack), just solder short twin core cables onto each pair of pins and terminate into the amps on nl2, banna clips or whatever

on the speaker end, you would have an NL8 built into the back of the cabinet, which takes those same pins to the correct driver, the only slightly interesting bit being that the low amp (pins 3+, 3-) are wired so that there are two lines comming off each tab, one to each of the low drivers (so they are wired in paralell)

for the subs, you could then either run nl8 down to the subs as well, but only connect pins 4+ and 4- to the driver, or you could put an NL2 or NL4 connector in that is wired to pins 4+ and 4- of the NL8 in the top cab (which would be a cheaper way of doing it

to get signal out to a second top in the same stack, you would have to put another NL8 on the back of the cabinet, and wire a bunch of short runs that go to the corresponding pins on the second NL8 (so 1+ goes to 1+, 3- goes to 3- etc..)

hope that makes some kind of sense
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by nativelayer nativelayer wrote:

From what i can gather the Xtro is a bit of an all in one top box:
it manages HF, Mid, low mid and can go low enough for the kick.
would you eq the 15" driver seperately to do this - or have i got the wrong end of the stick? 
I'm now thinking of 186 horns underneath (2 xtros + 4 186 horns). Is there definitely any reason why this would not work?

Yes it is considered an all in one box. I have never heard or used them but you might be able to get away with using them on there own in full range for small gigs where you don't need a high SPL.

There are some published settings which for the Xtro to be used with Punishers so they might be worth a look as they will include recommended EQ points. It is a long time since I looked at them so I can't remember what they are. EQ should be used to tune the sound to your personal taste (hopefully good taste) so there is no right or wrong, if you like it use it, if you don't don't.

186s will work underneath them fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply