Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yet another 1850 horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 11:07pm
Yeah I'm really keen to find out how they sound in stack of four.
WhiteElephantSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteElephantSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 5:53pm
We regually do gigs with a system with four 1850s and there spl and upper bass pressure always impress! As said before, they do sound amazingly hi-fi. Although bias as i own x1s i think for certain music the 1850's are majorly lacking in real low end.

Dub, dubstep, reggae etc just dont sound right on them , they seem to hit most of the notes but with more of a 'hammer in a wooden box' horn noise and less of the rummble and heavy thud of a bandpass, reflex or scoop noise.

Horses for courses though and theres no argument that a one box bass section is so much easier to setup and get sounding right than a kick and dedictaed sub arangement. My 2ps worth; all depends what gets played on ya rig.

peace
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 9:55pm
Yeah, the simplicity of one way bass makes up for a bit lack of deep deeeeep sub which actually doesn't always matter that much. I really like reggae, dubstep and dnb but I ended with building 1850s because I want to have a bit simpler system and I'm gonna do some live stuff also etc. We are going to try them out with X1s, 1-2 1850s and 1 X1 per side, X-over @ 50-60hz... BTW How much should I compensate the path length difference between those two, X1 being bandpass and thus having some Group Delay?

1850 capability of producing trancients is immense, the lack of group delay and Void's powerful motor takes some time to get used to. It feels like the cab is following exactly the waveform it's being fed with. the dynamics and the transients are just amazing.
Hi_Varu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hi_Varu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 6:11pm
did you try?i'm curious,was thinking at the same think...x1 or an infrasub like...any suggest?
b2 or turbosound infrahorn...is there a public infrasub plan to cover 20-50 hz fluently?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 10:58pm
Tried briefly one X1 and one 1850 together, crossed at about 55hz as far as I can remember. Sounded fat, low and punchy at the same time. This was only in our own yard and garage though. We are going to use 2 or 4 1850s and one X1 in small chillout/lounge room at http://www.faces.fi If we go for 4 1850 I believe we are going to cross them at about 45hz and leave X1 doing only 10-15 hz just to get some "warmth" down there, obviously it isn't going to be as loud as 4 horns... The real problem is amp power as we have only 4 ep2500s, so if we decide to go for four 1850s we need to leave x1 out or use only one amp for midtops (active xover all the way...) thus going mono, and I believe that with the combo of 2 1850s and 1 X1 we are going to get much more relaxed sound compared to 4 1850s, specially when we are not gonna drive the system very loudly, it's chill out, after all.
Hi_Varu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hi_Varu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:45am
outdoor?
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Hi_Varu Hi_Varu wrote:

did you try?i'm curious,was thinking at the same think...x1 or an infrasub like...any suggest?
b2 or turbosound infrahorn...is there a public infrasub plan to cover 20-50 hz fluently?

Nexo LS2000 uses similar xover from kick to bass if i'm right, csg?

The existing ones will be big bandpass designs, a horn reaching 20hz with ease would be very unwieldy. So to gain efficiency, maybe two such designs stacked with barn door would work, though I'm not sure how this would work for a double 6th order BP like the B2, but it would be easier for a double 4th like the infra from turbo, they even provide plans for their extension.

Here's another, scroll to very bottom:
http://wanderkolonie.org/speakers3/speakers.php

I hope jsg gets in here.
Away on extended leave.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:31pm
in case the link above doesn't work, go to http://wanderkolonie.org/ > mixed stuff > speakerplans
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 10:30pm

outdoor?

Nawh, smaaall indoor chillout thingie, two 1850 and x1 should be plenty...
Hi_Varu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hi_Varu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Nexo LS2000 uses similar xover from kick to bass if i'm right, csg?

The existing ones will be big bandpass designs, a horn reaching 20hz with ease would be very unwieldy. So to gain efficiency, maybe two such designs stacked with barn door would work, though I'm not sure how this would work for a double 6th order BP like the B2, but it would be easier for a double 4th like the infra from turbo, they even provide plans for their extension.

Here's another, scroll to very bottom:
http://wanderkolonie.org/speakers3/speakers.php

I hope jsg gets in here.

The cw218 seems interessant...peavy plan?Driver suggestion?
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 1:06pm
It's a yamaha. With OEM Eminence (eminence make nice OEM, not so great with off the shelf imo part from a few of course). It's also really two reflex bins in a clamshell with magnets out for cooling. Ports tuned to 60hz, so no 20hz for you.

The 'Infra' at the very bottom is what I'm interested in, though not if it sounds like the B2 Dead
Away on extended leave.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:06am
Festival was fun and is over and phew did the 2x 1850 & x1 -combo move some air. I'm not really proposing that's the optimum solution, but them crossed somewhere between 50-70hz (depends on what one wants) makes one lush sounding bass. Even though we only had one X1 in there it was enough to hear all those lowest notes in dubstep, The main weight will always be on the 1850s but even one X1 makes it sound like completely different thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12