Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18"/21" Folded horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18"/21" Folded horns
    Posted: 15 December 2016 at 6:02pm
Apart from from WSX, are there any DIY 18"/21" designs out there, that can achieve 45hz in pairs (Without blowing drivers)?

I'm not talking about ultra optimistic sims, of stacks 12x cabs. LOL

Seems strange Martin accomplished this approx 2x decades ago, yet for all I hear about Invaders/SBH, I don't hear about them dropping as low, as WSX in reality.

Edited by levyte357- - 15 December 2016 at 6:03pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2016 at 7:45pm
my home made quakes if that counts Thumbs Up
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:32pm
Question...if the general rule is the smaller the speaker the more suited to higher frequencies and the bigger the speaker the more suited to low frequencies...so if that is the case why do we design/build load 21" drivers into boxes that do not play to the speakers strengths? Or isit a case of ignoring its strengths and just focusing on maybe moving more air because its bigger? This is a genuine question and post i am not having a go or raining on anyones parade as who is anyone to tell someone how to build their sound. Respect.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by BASSHORSE BASSHORSE wrote:

my home made quakes if that counts Thumbs Up

What can these do realistically in pairs/4s?
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 10:31am
to luton,,thats a technical question & i'll leave that to the others,.to lev,.i aint got no measuring equipment but to my ears they drop low low,.spec sheet says 35 in 4s,.but i aint surprized they drop like they do,the box is huge LOL 4ft tall over 3 foot deep,.them the best folded bass horns ive heard,.aint heard that many but these sound sweet,.got the punch with the weight behind it,,smooth aswell,.they just sound profesh,.they dont roll like scoops,but scops aint got the pressure these punch out,. .top boxs imo Thumbs Up

Edited by BASSHORSE - 16 December 2016 at 10:34am
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 10:44am
SBHs drop about 10Hz lower than WSX. WSX is more efficient on the other side and requires less boxes in a stack to work as a proper horn.
The EAW Big Bertha could be what you are looking for?!
Personally i prefer 15" FLH over 18" as the lower cutoff is determined by the horn and the stack size but not the chassis size.
If you take the exactly same horn with lets say ~ 1m x 0.6m mouth area and put either a suited 21", a 18" or a 15" into it, the response curve will be about the same! Only thing that will change is the dispersion at a given input voltage. But a proper horn stack wont exceed ~10mm of xmax anyways, even if driven with 1500w or the likes, so with the same power handling on all 3 chassis sizes, you end up with (nearly) no difference in max SPL.

That said, this is the theory. In the real world, where you drive your chassis beyond xmax because compression in bass range is considered as "heavy" and you dont build big enough stacks (like 2 bins per side), the 21" will most likely be measured with a fe extra dB max SPL compared to the 15". But not anywhere as much as it would be in a ported enclosure!

paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 11:05am
i heard a stack of quakes once, 8 in one block in 2x4s with mouths together, ...........it moved my guts, there is a technical answer for you LOL

Edited by paulus - 16 December 2016 at 11:06am
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 2:26pm
Thanks for feedback so far.

Reason I asked about 2x per stack, is because I wanted a realistic comparison with Scoops, without saying it.

Premium build Scoop, with premium high BL driver, will easily do 40hz in pairs, and cover 500 ppl, with 2x stacks of 2x, given right sub amp, processing.

Pairs is not a typical application for folded horns, but is there an 18" folded horn, that can outperform Scoops, in this configuration, over 40-80hz?

Edited by levyte357- - 16 December 2016 at 2:27pm
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 2:54pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 2:59pm
In same venue, have heard stack of 4x V18-1000 loaded Looneys, as with 2x other Scoop sounds.

Would say 55hz up the Looneys had it, but 38-50hz was severely lacking, & noticable, actually detracting from enjoyment of the music.

Will SBH really do better than this?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 6:21pm
Labsubs
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 10:44pm
the keystones are supposed to be very very nice, planning on knocking one up soon..
https://www.elements-audio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>