Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" Folded Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 6:50pm
So you got me thinking...... 

Horn length of 277cm to S5 using the floor as a further extension to the horn. 
Suited to the usual suspects but better suited to the lighter coned drivers such as the Fane 18-1000. 
Outer dimensions are to your specification 1200*600*900 

This is one cab @ 2pi 
4 cabs @ 2pi
And then 8 @2pi cabs for a quick LOL

This is a sketch up that isn't 100% finished but the internal horn dimensions are 100% true to the sims just need to sort out a few external things. I see the access pannel invader/psycho style with the possibility of a heat sink to help the driver cool better. 

I have designed the horn path to be as smooth as possible with smoothed curves (it does have one 180* turn involved that cant be helped) I have also developed a throat adaptor that will be a mission to build without the use of fiberglass and a mould which is also not 100% desirable but completely doable. A more basic version could be developed but at the expense of sound quality i imagine (whether this is audible or not is a different question). The throat adaptor is much the same as a letter box but giving a more even cone loading with an octagonal entry that turns 90 degrees in the first 15cm of horn.  

And here is a comical representation of the horn path using cute red arrows.

I would love feed back on this type of thing as in my eyes the throat adaptor (best seen in picture 2) will give better controle over the entire surface area of the cone making it act more like a piston. The smoothed horn path i believe will help make the design sound smoother rather than just hearing air move/chuff.

Squeezing the extra horn length in to the cab in this way was an idea spawned from a plan i have of a tapped horn that i have no further details than this picture :

This is to make the driver work in the same ways as a piston with no squeeze of pressure with the driver facing a flat or offset wall straight infront of the driver as with most conventional horns, with some (in my opinion a lot) of energy bounced straight back through the driver creating strange pressure nulls and peaks within this 'compression' chamber meaning the driver wont be as musically controlled i my opinion. My adaptation should create far less negative reflections and deal with this problem with a minimal loss of acoustical energy. A basic law physics states that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection and so i have drawn you this :

This is surely taking energy from the cone and making the system more inefficient? 

The adaptor is a perfectly octagonal 90 degree turn creating the first few centimeters of the horn with the begging of the horn measured from the octagonal entry. 

Please some one educated tell me if im going wrong or if more explanation is needed, iv had a few beers so i may be babbling shit.  
Poll this!
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 5:35pm
You make a very good point wrekone! Have you had a chance to try out this plan? What sort of drivers would be suitable?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Wrek0ne Wrek0ne wrote:

So you got me thinking...... 

Horn length of 277cm to S5 using the floor as a further extension to the horn. 
Suited to the usual suspects but better suited to the lighter coned drivers such as the Fane 18-1000. 
Outer dimensions are to your specification 1200*600*900 

This is one cab @ 2pi 

Excellent work there, WO.

Thinking throat assembly may need to be bit more WSX'ish/simpler though, to reduce manufacture cost.

There's a number of drivers I know would work well in this cab, Fane 18-1000 being the starting point.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 3:23pm
If the WSX isn't your thing there is always Amano's alternative may well be suited. It has a more basic throat adaptor and a smoother horn it could be a winner. 

@ Smoore - I havent, I designed it as I had free time and fancied a challenge. My thinking for the throat adaptor was just to illustrate a concept that i had never seen used in a design, to me it makes a lot of logical sense, we all know how important corner 'reflectors' are but at a critical stage in setting the tonality of a bass bin its seen as ok to unevenly 'load' a flimsy paper cone and expect good results. We all know that even the most efficient of drivers are struggling to achieve 4% electrical to acoustical energy transfer, with 96% of the electrical energy wasted when in free space. To use an enclosure and the surroundings to gain 20-30% efficiency. Loosing energy with corners is a well known fact why not treat the entry to the horn the same?

Drivers suitable for this design would be anything from the v1000/PD1850 with a slightly less desirable peaky low end to the Fane 18-1000 which will give you the results above.  Anything with a low FS, Qes and a high BL and Xmax should give you an ok result.

Poll this!
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 6:06pm
Wrek one, that makes alot of sense to me!.. Might be keen on building one to try out, only have PD 186 to use though..

Also just a point i want to make (This is probably incorrect anyway!) , someone mentioned to me that using straight lines to make a curve was alot better than using curves.. As it results in more predictable movement/reflection of sound waves. It would also make it alot easier for me to build! What do you reckon? Or would you keep it as it is?
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2012 at 11:08pm
Ill draw you up some real plans (do you use sketchup or autocad?) in 2D with a more in depth explanation of how i see things with sims for the PD186 so if you do want to give it a go it will make it a lot easier. Also if you are interested i am quite happy to make you the throat and corner's out of fiberglass and sending them your way for what ever the materials cost me. 

Ill answer the question about the so called reflectors as best i can to my understanding when i post the rest of the data Smile
Poll this!
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Wrek0ne Wrek0ne wrote:

If the WSX isn't your thing there is always Amano's alternative may well be suited. It has a more basic throat adaptor and a smoother horn it could be a winner. 

@ Smoore - I havent, I designed it as I had free time and fancied a challenge. My thinking for the throat adaptor was just to illustrate a concept that i had never seen used in a design, to me it makes a lot of logical sense, we all know how important corner 'reflectors' are but at a critical stage in setting the tonality of a bass bin its seen as ok to unevenly 'load' a flimsy paper cone and expect good results. We all know that even the most efficient of drivers are struggling to achieve 4% electrical to acoustical energy transfer, with 96% of the electrical energy wasted when in free space. To use an enclosure and the surroundings to gain 20-30% efficiency. Loosing energy with corners is a well known fact why not treat the entry to the horn the same?

Drivers suitable for this design would be anything from the v1000/PD1850 with a slightly less desirable peaky low end to the Fane 18-1000 which will give you the results above.  Anything with a low FS, Qes and a high BL and Xmax should give you an ok result.

maybe subliminally. C4-S is same throat. I have a few more designs that are similar too.

and you don't EVER put flimsy cones in a long horn
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 11:42am

...... Does a 186 have a flimsy cone then mykey? And also Wrek one I just recieved more speaker orders so won't be free to build anything before I go away to france for the ski season (got a job as chalet host!) which is a bit of a bummer :/

If, come next april, you are still in the design process, and need a prototype, send me a PM!
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 11:21pm
Smoore i simed the PD186 in this configuration. In my opinion the 186 has a heavy/ strong enough cone to with stand this compression. Remember the throat adaptor is designed to evenly 'load' the cone perhaps more so than a letter box design. 

Here is the plots for one box @ 2pi 1w1m

Then 4 boxes @2pi 1w1m

Finished drawing it up too.

Ill have to draw up some 2D plans when i get time.
Poll this!
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:34pm
In this layout, where does the throat end. Is it at the first fold, as in the corner of the cab.

...or is the throat volume calculated on just on the space directly in front of the cutout for the driver... so then S1 is from the edge of the hole to the corner?
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 1:48pm
hope its a balmy morn in pommy land too folks! Tongue
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 3:06pm
@wrekone good work :-]  nice to see someone trying something new ish :-] very impressed with the potential design there keep up the good work :-] take it 1200x1200x600 is too big then lev? if not the modified version of the amano lab18 might be good for you does 30-100hz fairly well from admittidly very low tech testing........ as soon as amano gives me the go ahead and ive had em out for a few events ill happily share the modded plans if that suits you :-]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>