Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x10" vented horn idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 3:32pm
Seems you could reduce the box size by increasing the angle of the baffles on the 10" drivers and opening up some of the wasted CD chamber space to make better use of it. I assume that slot opening isn't intended to allow air flow between the cavities and has something to do with the yet to be added vent?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 5:34pm
That's true!

what should be the maximum angele for a bend?
I was affread it would be to mutch.

yes i would like to make the vent in the front.

Does someone have any experiance with the bms 4593he?
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 5:49pm
I'm not sure. The Peter Morris top has quite sharp angles. Check it out as reference.

You would want to strike the optimum balance between the angle of the baffle/first bend and the size of the opening into the CD chamber (as narrow an opening as you can get away with while still functioning as a single acoustic cavity).

How narrow that would be I'm not sure either, but what you have pictured definitely won't do. Where does the vent go at the front?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 7:09pm
hf94 should not be crossed much below 1000hz, ph642 works ok 800hz up, hf950 even a tad lower (650 at a stretch, 700 comfortably), xt1464 700up too, afaik..
rcf nd950 or b&c de1050 for example should work ok 800hz up on a large horn too if you want to cut some costs on drivers..

with such horn/cab design/layout like yours you really want/need a low crossover as the mids struggle to reach 1khz comfortably + the higher you cross the narrower the dispersion of those mids will get, which causes a mismatch at the crossover region, specially if horizontally arrayed.. (lots of info and detail on peter morris`threads.. ;)

whats your specific needs/requirements btw?
- what sort of gigs do you do, what size of crowd, PA, venue etc.?

Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 8:53pm
which horn would you recommend for the 4590 or the 4593he?
In the ideal world a crossover of 600hz/650hz would be the best suitable.
its hard to stretch the 10's till 700hz or 800hz

I want to use then for venue form 50 till about 400/500 people.
I've got a drive inn show so the aplication is various.
Sometimes they will be on a pole and the next week flying
Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 9:05pm
May the Limmer 033 wit the B&C DE750?
P audio Ph64?
P audio PH-942

A lot of question

Edited by Noud - 08 January 2018 at 9:22pm
FrederikMA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 9:17pm
Question is how much you care about directivity. A horn which loads to 600hz while providing good directional properties will be large and further compromise the horn mouth of the 10's.
It's very appealing to horn load the drivers as low as practically possible but there is a reason it's so rarely seen in pro boxes. It's very hard to get good (or even just acceptable) hf respons from long horns - an they do get acoustically very long at the high frequencies most CDs requires the lowmid channel to produce. Even Peter Morris wouldn't operate his 12" horn higher than 800hz and that's very close to an ideal horn with smooth curves and all. I find it more sensible to do a shorter horn and pay attention to "tricks" to improve LF efficiency.
Best regards Fred
Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 7:03am
I searched on the limmer site and found the 042 horn
6" and a 1" combination horn
I've got a BMS 4538 for the tweeter.
the horn can be bought at Lautsprecherteile.de
And the phl 1040 toutlehautparleur.com

Anyone got experians with this combi? how does it sound?
could this work with some ajustment in the plan

Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 5:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 7:35pm
I'm having a hard time telling whether it's perspective or if the horn area expansion actually is negative for the last section? Regardless, the mouth is certainly too small to function as a "real horn".
In my opinion you are entering the niche of tre way tops like H3 and F1 res series by using such a midhorn. You need a powerfull lowmid to justify adding another channel for mid.

Sorry if I'm coming out as being negative. I think the rate at which you reconsider the layout is great. I'm just trying to help you steer clear of solutions that might work on paper but ultimately will disapoint in performance after all your efforts.
I think you need to narrow down which "sound" you are going for. A two-way hybrid horn design can be great and so can a three-way. But they are both a delicate balancing of rear volume, horn mouth size, expansion rate, compression ratio, efficiency balancing... the list goes on.
Best regards Fred

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 7:43pm
The thread on Peter Morris is not just a great design of similar layout. It is first and formost a great example of a good design proces. Really inspiring journey for any adventurous speaker designer.
Best regards Fred
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:37pm
those 6/1 limmer horns are not capable of very high spl/wont require a double 10" hornloaded cab to cover lowmids..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>