Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

36" monsters from the fridge brixton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 36" monsters from the fridge brixton
    Posted: 15 September 2008 at 5:07pm
Has anyone got any pics of these big ol' berthers?

4D you must have right?
4DPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2008 at 6:33pm
Somewhere I will search the archives.  They were so hidden under the balcony and a few tms'4's that they never revealed themselves that well in photographs.  

Irrc 36" Mitsubishi's developed for the mod, they shook dust..  
bs8901 compliant
4DPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by H... H... wrote:

Has anyone got any pics of these big ol' berthers?

4D you must have right?

Cliffe looking rather woodstock..

bs8901 compliant
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 10:04pm
I need those in my front room!
Can I ask what happend to them...can you still get hold of them second hand?

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 10:14pm
I need those installed in my ceiling! Reminds me of the Fostex ones...

Do those still work properly?
Away on extended leave.
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 10:47pm
i once heard rumurs of a 36" kef driver, dont know how true it was..
super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 6:00pm
I think EV also did some 30" drivers for home cinema only about 30watts though.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2008 at 10:51am
Well done Ford!
Cliff looks a little strained in the pic, how is he ? haven't seen him in years.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 2:10pm
Yeah he's on good form, given up the evil nicotine but still on a thousand gold blends a day.  Busy rewiring the fridge, which as just changed hands again, bye bye Craig Elder and welcome back Andrew Czechbounski so watch out Brixton...... Hopefully I can give Cliffe back the 320 parcans I have been storing for the last four years. 

Talking to Noosh about these drivers yesterday he thinks one can find the patents online.. (go on deadbeat).. nb: He sends his regards..
/tx
F

Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 6:45pm
When were they in use at the Fridge? I was there a lot from the late '80s to the early '90s.  Don't remember stupidly loud bass but I did like the sound in there.

S
tektaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tektaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 1:41pm
haha, funny old world! I supplied these speakers to the fridge in 1992. I bought them off a tech who used to work for Mitsubishi UK, and he had them under a tarp in his dad's garden for a number of years. Since they were designed for exterior use, the cabs and cones were OK.
As far as i know there was only one pair of these cabs brought over to the UK to demo to anyone interested, but they never sold any.
I was really excited about getting my hands on them, but they turned out to be a major disappointment. The cones were just too heavy to have any transient response useful for music, so they just rumbled away merrily in the background. Since the fridge wre mosly vinyl based, then those extra low frequencies would have been filtered out anyhow.
At the fridge they were used more for visual impact than anything else. When i installed them they were mounted in a balcony area where they would dwarf the dancers who would be performing in front.
I was told that there were some even larger 80in cones around that were demoed to the MOD, but that was never confirmed independently.

Cheers
Taf
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 5:00pm
I used to go to the Soul II Soul nights - can't remember too well but I think the sound was pretty good by the standard of venues of the time. Perhaps they used more than just the house PA?

Bassline used to be quite heavy - especially when they used to play that Courtney Pine dubplate - memories...

S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>