Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on new 15" Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 7:40am
You probably don't want 15 mm playing super low. you want rigid heavy wood so you don't lose energy to vibration. I know BFM uses 15mm in his folded horns, but then they are pretty extensively braced to make up for it. Personally I would take the weight, and still brace intelligently.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:45am
12 mm actually, and that's based around relatively low powered drivers
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 9:25am
My only observations about this Design, is that it is more or less follows the path of a Scoop Bin, with the exception of how the Speaker is loaded. So to me it looks like a scoop without the Direct radiating part. Do you think there will be an extra advantage with this design over and above the normal Scoop design. Due to compression loading, I realise it would sound different from a Scoop, but just wondering how they would perform side by side. Looks like an interesting Mod though.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 9:43am
It can be used as a one way bass solution. It doesn't have that inevitable dip that scoops have where the horn and the direct radiator are 180 degrees out of phase.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 9:56am
And to give the full picture, where that dip happens, is usually outside of the Sub range. It is in mine anyway.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 4:44pm
Must say for my kind of music (techno) i have never been interested in scoops at all, so did not think about it yet.
My major design goal was a one-way bass hitting 40Hz. next one was to make it as flat as possible in singles without losing the smooth graph in a stack of 4. Then i thought : why not cooling the magnet?! The folding also enables you to put wheels in the lower corner and handles in the upper one to push/pull it.
My questions now would be what you guys would change and if and why you would prefer this one to WSX and similar.  I really want it to be an interesting option for DIY builders, so i ask for your help as your obviously part of them.
If i would make it for myself to earn money, i wouldnt do so^^
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 6:57pm
Ok my previous post maybe a little too far fetch, I understand what the cab's purpose by rereading your first post. I am just curious have you simulate this design with another 15" cheaper woofer readily available here in the US like Eminence or even Dayton Pro woofers available through MCM Electronics? Just curious corell so I can build one and measure it? Thanks!
BASS, how low can you go!
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 8:32pm
send me the TSP of your intended woofer and i will check it ;)

RCF 15X401 seems to be pretty cheap for its specs i think, but if thats not available, i will check others.
we will have a chat via FB ;)
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 7:27pm
Oh yeah I have always wanna try Eminence Impero 15A OR Faital Pro 15FH 1020 :
http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Impero_15A

And

http://www.faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=201060110

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappa_Pro_15LF2 

15LF2 is now on sale at $152 each parts-express.com

Thanks corell it would be great to start something new here in the States, take care!Wink

Edited by T-Bone - 24 April 2014 at 7:46pm
BASS, how low can you go!
tda-audio_2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda-audio_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 12:25pm

to CoreLL

good job!

my version front loaded -invert driver

92x92x49 . 68kg . dr. ciare1200sw

KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:24pm
copying again

your copied version
tda-audio_2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tda-audio_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:30pm
\\\your copied version\\\\

my version -change chamber! 

to corell  -  used ciare 15.00sw!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>