Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best folded Horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:04pm
although there are no designs, funktion one 215/218/221 (and single equivalents)/a lot of turbo sound and thunder ridge are all band pass horns!

Folded horns play deeper with more spl but can sound un-clean to me at times hence sticking with the short horns.

Oh and USB!

Edited by backlash - 09 January 2010 at 9:04pm
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
Atom-Acoustics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atom-Acoustics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by backlash backlash wrote:

although there are no designs, funktion one 215/218/221 (and single equivalents)/a lot of turbo sound and thunder ridge are all band pass horns!

Folded horns play deeper with more spl but can sound un-clean to me at times hence sticking with the short horns.

Oh and USB!

Yeah I like the look of the USB, Thanks for your help I know a chap that has some I could try out against my horns, will decide if keep them or not?

Edited by Atom-Acoustics - 10 January 2010 at 12:25am
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:48pm
reflex horns? Are they loaded in a V and more of a reflex than a horn?

If so a band pass horn will probably out do the reflex in a lot of areas mainly spl. The reflex will cover more of a frequency range though.
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atom-Acoustics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 10:48pm
The cab's I use in my personal system are turbosound Hilight THL-828 and some copys are mixed in (boke-audio) MA 828 (DBL) from Andrew @ sonic sound systems and he said the they are reflex horn, I doubt they are? They are loaded with custom built fane drivers, very close to funktion one drivers the guy said, as they make some of their drivers.. Just looking to improve my sound really, if I can ?

I'm using x2 crown 5002vz amps to run 8 cab's, each cab is 1000 watts, and it sounds really good so i have been told, never really run it above half on the amps... mainly I use it on live bands and some dance music?  I'm happy with my tops though X6 D&B C4 TOP's I got cheap once

Edited by Atom-Acoustics - 10 January 2010 at 12:20am
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 11:07pm
Those boke are band pass cabinets I'm sure! You will never get 'close' to funktion one unless it is funktion one. They usually use PHL and other brands but have OEM drivers with them. I personally (not trying to pick fault here) don't have much time for anyone trying to recreate funktion one. There are so many other speakers out there that deserve the praise in their own right! Why and change something that already sounds good, to sound like a funktion one bin? Yes the bins don't sound bad, 800wAES per cabinet etc so efficient I'll give them that.

Sound Hire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atom-Acoustics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 11:25pm

Those boke are band pass cabinets I'm sure! You will never get 'close' to funktion one unless it is funktion one. They usually use PHL and other brands but have OEM drivers with them. I personally (not trying to pick fault here) don't have much time for anyone trying to recreate funktion one. There are so many other speakers out there that deserve the praise in their own right! Why and change something that already sounds good, to sound like a funktion one bin? Yes the bins don't sound bad, 800wAES per cabinet etc so efficient I'll give them that.

it was an example with funktion one as the chap at fane said what I wanted was very much the same as what he built for them... I wanted a low input with a high output (High SPL) sent him the cab's spec's and he built them.  The turbo's drivers in my cab's where missing when I got them, some fool had put sytec 500 watt max drivers in them...
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 11:39pm
Mmmm sky tec......

Sorry it wasn't made clear about the drivers being close. What wattage are they AES? As I know the funktion one's are very efficient.

Sound Hire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atom-Acoustics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 11:54pm
He did say 500 AES Each, 99 db sensitivity  4" Voice coil, I do have it all with my paper work somewhere...

Edited by Atom-Acoustics - 09 January 2010 at 11:55pm
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 12:09am
Sounds like a good driver and very power efficient. Funktion one OEM drivers are 400w AES I believe!

Sound Hire
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 12:25am
Well don't discount the newer 2x21" F1 bandpass subs, they are a marked improvement on the original and certainly soak up more power  (1500W).
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 1:23am
What about the mk2 218's? I heard the newer 221's and was blown away - literally the only rig with funktion one that knows the definition of bass!

DMT's club rig bristol.

Sound Hire
evolution rob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evolution rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 4:15am

Well I prefer band pass horns personally, nicer kick to them and cleaner sound IMO.
+1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>