Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best or Worst ISP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 9:39pm
i get 37.5 attenuation on my modem and sync at about 8-9 megs
which is pretty much what i should get on adsl2+
http://www.internode.on.net/media/images/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg
i also get at least 7 megs from mirrors and can see full speed on certain downloads and private torrents.
also you can check what services you can receive here
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 10:07pm
Been with NTL / Virgin since day dot. Never any service problems apart from when moving house a couple of years ago. They F..ked my whole account up good and propper. (all it was was a change of address) Mainly down to overseas callcentre staff with a basic grasp of the english language and total lack of continuity. i.e. i never spoke to the same person twice.
On the upside they f..ked it up so much they didnt take a direct debit payment for 18 months! They recified the situation last month (arse!) and said it was their fault and i didnt have to pay! Bonus
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 9:25am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Just checked out Zen, and whilst I approve of them being upfront about data limits they don't seem to offer anything amazingly special for the home user considering the price. Maybe you're paying for good tech support.

It's not really for home users, although they are of course welcomed - you are indeed paying for the tech support. It might not seem worth it, until you're hit with a complex and very awkward fault such as 'random electrical interference' and nobody seems to know what to do.

Never heard of Fast before but they do seem to get good reviews. Pretty odd that they bumped up their packages by the same amounts we did, just two weeks after us LOL

Edited by toastyghost - 08 January 2009 at 9:27am
jonny4288 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 11:34am
Connection uptime and stability is of the upmost importance in the household here, as a family member works from home,

currently with zen, never had a problem once with the connection, very stable, cant comment on their customer service as ive never had to phone them.

used to use pipex who were a very good isp, then it all went downhill, throttlling, a lot of connection dropoutssh*te customer service, then they were bought out by tiscali, this was no good and affecting workflow so just had to move ISP then.

chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 3:53pm
i was with zen for a few years, excellent isp, but a bit pricey. i'm with virgin on cable atm, mainly due to the fact the house had a cable port and no bt line and bt wanted silly money to connect it up. seems quick though and works pretty solidly (10meg)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by chilli chilli wrote:

i was with zen for a few years, excellent isp, but a bit pricey.

Something we don't hide - if you're on the 'Pro' package and actually download the full 50GB of your allowance we've lost around 30p on your account. Use of the BT network costs a lot more than people think Ouch
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 6:36pm
I was on Tiscali before moving to this house and bar the tech support woes, had very little to complain about (once I'd been through the process a few times and knew how to handle them)

Now on the Sky all in one package because its simply the easiest and cheapest to manage.  No problems bar not being able to use our old router, but once I'd bitten the bullet and reconfiged the supplied one it was all good.  Get about 3meg on downloads for what is supposed to be 8mb but its quick enough for online gaming, P2P and whateve else we choose to do, and its only £5 for 40gb usage which I'm yet to hit the limit of.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 9:09pm
only problem i have with virgin is the cap after you download a certain amount
my 2meg account was capped to 1meg after downloading 350mb
so worth getting standard rate bt line rental and getting an unlimited adsl provider.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 12:37am
Tempted to give these guys a try, http://www.pulsegaming.com/adsl.aspx

300Gb per month and no throttling during the day sounds very reasonable for the price which is what I pay with BT now anyway.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 9:13am
It's just not possible. As stated by a Zen emplyee above, hitting 50gb on an account that costs £35 will result in a loss by the isp. Also I note they give you a static IP address, well thats actually very nice, however don't get up to any funny stuff as you will definatly not be able to riggle if it comes on top, your address is yours period, just read off the books with no going back through records and seeing what dynamic IP you were assigned at the time.
247.959.**.**** oh yes thats Mr *******. Don't get me wrong, the ISP will always know who you were if asked but a static makes it a lot easier for the Torrents Police to know it was you, always the same address...
It's everything, not everythink!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 11:24am
Usually there is always a choice between static and dynamic IP in my experience, but that wouldn't bother me anyway. I don't download the sort of copyrighted material that would get me a nasty letter anyway. Worst offences are a few relatively obscure mp3s now and then that I want to hear properly before buying.

If the company makes a loss on transfers over 50Gb/month then I guess that's their problem not mine - I'm sure they have done some kind of maths to justify their 300Gb figure. Will look into it a bit more fully when I have a minute.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 4:57pm
I'm sure they have done the math, it'll be presuming that no one goes near that limit as if they all did the math wouldn't work out. So IMHO an advertising gimmick.
 As for the static IP, that's what caught my eye, there was no option just static, and as most providers charge extra I'm even more warey.
 Regards
Nick
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>