Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual 12+ HF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2021 at 10:42am
Note that all subs are for sale, new projects in line LOL
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 7:45am

Finally some time to assemble both cabs. They are currently only missing the reflector in the middle between the 10" drivers and the horn mounting (which is still being designed). Planning to paint them with raptor liner again.
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 6:00pm
Looks good, are you aiming for this box to control directivity? 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 8:07pm
@kipman

Not really. Length is around 60cm, and i am expecting a +-650/700 Hz crossover with the current horn and hf driver.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2022 at 12:30pm
Hello Smitske!
Since the RCF LF21N551 is not for purchase anymore, could you please leave a note on the LaVoce215.30?
Would it be worthy competition? On paper they looks almost the same. Did you play with the driver? The RCF is easy to get to the 20mm cone excursion one way, so I wonder if LaVoce is the same beast. Thank you.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 2:28pm
All painted:

Need some small bits before a new measuring session.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 1:23pm
Hey Stef,
Did you make further progress on this box? Curious to the results and how you fitted the coax driver + horn inside the cab. Did you take some measurements already and have you worked out the Xover frequency?
Best regards,
Teun.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 2:41pm
Next test session is set for this saturday including the 1x15" 6th order BP and the modified cubo Sub. For now the horn + coax is mounted with a simple bracket that I can move around a little bit, eventually it is the goal to mount the driver with a custom bracket near the entry of the horn. That way its near the coax driver itself and it looks much better.

Previous measurements (though not the best ones) showed a possible crossover of around 650/700Hz. 

When all measurements are done saturday I will post all the info in the topic some days after (busy week).

PS: Fun thing, I am already slowly busy with a more compact version of the cabinet with size and hopefully weight similar to something like the Harmonic Design HLS24. With it would come a heavy duty polemount.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2022 at 1:34pm
4x10" @4m groundplane (without horn):

4x10" @4m groundplane (with horn):

4x10" @2m off-axis measurements (purple is around 50 degrees) without EQ:

Very happy with improvement and I do not expect big changes.

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2022 at 11:48am
And with the DCX (groundplane 2m distance):

Filters applied:
600 BTW 24dB/Oct 4x 10FH500
702 BTW 24dB/Oct DCX 464 + FB464-16
And some EQ. 

This was mostly to get a glimpse of its capabilitie and finally hear some music through it. So do definately not take these presets as final ones, still some tweaks are needed as in a final horn mount, grill etc. After that I will try and work to a more final one where this cab gets all the attenstion it needs. 

However, first things that stood out where speech entelligibility and not putting any strain on my ears. When raising the volume i added a PEQ @2.6kHz as I do with mostly al cabinets when levels are going up. Adding 2x Cubo sub/21 beneath was definately not enough to keep up with it, 6x (if not more) would be more appropriate probably.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2022 at 11:59am
Cubo sub/21 with its current preset for most applications: 

-Distance 4M
-Powersoft K10 DSP
-UMIK-1 
-No SPL calibration (working on that one)'

I can probably get away with some more EQ down low because xmax is not the problem in this situation (power I can control via my Powersoft DSP, so almost no issue for longterm issues).

Edited by smitske96 - 31 August 2022 at 9:25pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2022 at 4:25pm
New update:

No DCX464 as HF section. Though it is one hell of a driver, one DCX464 is not enough to keep up with the 4x10" LF section. Therefore, I am going for a comparable approach as Marjan's M410 (sorry Embarrassed). It could be done with 2x DCX464, but I have decided to cut the budget a bit for now, so the DCX464 becomes to expensive.

Current shortlist for 2x HF (3,4"/4" VC drivers):
-RCF ND950
-B&C DE1090Tn
-Oberton ND100 
-Faital Pro HF1440

All of the above I can get for ruffly half the price of one DCX464 (some a bit less  or a bit more).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>