Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES18BPH Driver sims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 2:41pm
Peavey lowrider 18 is a good one for this.
Don't test the champignon sound
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:25pm
That Omega pro aint bad
It just is.
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 6:35pm
Fane 18B is a 400 watt driver I believe? high sensitivity but can't take alot of power.
I noticed that alot of the fane drivers have a high sensitivity of 99dB, which is ofcourse good but low xmax as a tradeoff.

Yes the omega pro surprised me aswell, nice bump around 100hz and reasonably flat with very different T/S parameters then the rest.

The RCF LF18G401 is another driver that sims pretty well, 98dB sensitivity and xmax of 8,5mm.
Should be interesting.

PD186 also pretty good, and very good halfspace efficiency.

The heavy high power ''beasts'' like the pd1850 and void v18-1000 aren't very well suited for this design, and their extreme powerhandling seems wasted.

Edited by jerronimo - 15 February 2011 at 11:33am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 5:27am
the fane XB drivers are well suited to reflex boxes, and the B ones to horns.. don't mind the wattage..
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 11:37am
Yes but reflex speakers can work very well in hornloaded cabs.
Look at the PD186, lot´s of people on here use them in reflex and in horn designs.
Same go´s for the RCF LF18N401, usable in reflex, horn and bandpass.
There is no perfect speaker for each D.I.Y design, but some work better then others.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 2:20pm
not really correct in saying that, you can't put a reflex driver in a long horn without asking for trouble, and this is a BPH (short horn), low EBP drivers will give a more warm natural sound, so yes drivers close to BR

look for a driver with a EBP around the 90's, drivers with a low Fs

have a look at the   FTR18-4080FD celestion

if you're using them solely has a kick cab, then stick a driver that has a EBP of over 130 (hammer on a door sound) Dead
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by jerronimo jerronimo wrote:

Fane 18B is a 400 watt driver I believe? high sensitivity but can't take alot of power.

The RCF LF18G401 is another driver that sims pretty well, 98dB sensitivity and xmax of 8,5mm.
Should be interesting.

PD186 also pretty good, and very good halfspace efficiency.

The heavy high power ''beasts'' like the pd1850 and void v18-1000 aren't very well suited for this design, and their extreme powerhandling seems wasted.
you could use a 400 watt driver in a BPH and still be loud, all this power power power nonsense gets on my lady breasts

V1000 and the 1850 will knock your head off and annoy you in a BPH, bit like sitting in a dentist chair for 2 hours, you know that's going to piss you off

I remember listening to the Mach Balister cabs years ago, tiny BPH cab, 1850 loaded, super loud....and one notey....is that what you want? 

186 would be cool, I think someone even mentioned on here some time ago the 184, I haven't seen the specs for tge 184, so don't quote me on that
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:31pm
Oke interesting reading guys, as you can see I have still some things to learn.
Ofcourse power isn't everything, I know that.
But a 400 watt 99dB driver can't reach the same high levels of spl than let's say a 800 watt 99dB driver.

Faital pro makes some nice drivers with high sensitivity, low weight and high powerhandling but they are somewhat expensive.

Maybe it's a case of ''who has the biggest'' nowadays as many manufacturers are competing to produce drivers with the highest powerhandling like the B&C 18SW115 and 18sound 18NLW9000 which need massive amounts of amplifierpower.

The RCF LF18G401 has a ebp of 110 and Fs is 33, maybe the best of both worlds?
I don't know, maybe I should try them.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:35pm
i was just suggesting that seeing as you were simming a load of drivers.. you might get a decent result from the 18b... obviously you don't have to do it...
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:53pm
Lol u were reading my mind just simmed it, has a massive BL of 35,8 and a ebp of 122,9
P.audio SD18:

jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:55pm
Oops you meant the fane...Shocked
Somewhat smoother responce than the original p.audio SD18. 
Fane colossus 18B:

Edited by jerronimo - 15 February 2011 at 7:01pm
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:59pm

Strange after simming lots of drivers, you can see there is realy not much between them in terms op spl output.

The emminence kappa, pd186 and pd18br40 are the only one's that have a somewhat different plot.
Can someone evaluate some of my sims, maybe I am doing someting wrong here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>