Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Get Your Racks Out Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2015 at 11:36pm
You can put more in one rack than that!
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 12:19am
Okay maybe a stupid question, but if you are going this way with split racks, isnt it much nicer to just use the Dante platform as inputs and just patch a single RJ45 from and to every amplifier?
Best regards,
Teun.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 12:58am
The issue with Dante, it does exist, it needs to come from some where, the only reason to have racks setup like that is your business is very diverse, 20ch of Amp over 5 racks means you can do 5 little jobs or a big one, yes dante is great when all the racks are in a pile (I assume done for the photo, all 5 @ full power of a single 32 maybe a bit messy) but when you do smaller shows, Dante is not your friend.

That said I hate XLR on rack and would have little multipin people (or even a screened RJ45 link through for balanced line) but if XLR what your market needs, XLR is what you use, personally any "I like to play with myself" touring more than one amp rack aside it wasting time...

But if you aren't doing the tour with a fibre-net and powerlok each side of the stage you decision to put 500KW of amps, Hoist control, flying looms and distro in one neat 2-tonne forkable dolly may back fire on you, not least of which in the local pub when you have 120mm phase to 13A plug and the amps outside because they didn't go through the door....

I am guessing those racks have been designed by his market, not by accident...

Smile

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 7:34am
The patchbays in the photo have ethercon in and out, the photo does not pick it up. In all honesty it is there for network control rather than audio. I've had dante enabled amps for years and used it twice.

I thought long and hard before putting them in single racks, and given that each job we do is different from the last, this stops us having to re-rack amps all the time, keeps the racks at a friendly weight and also deals with handling the mains easier.

Lots of my PA jobs mean lots of amps dotted around locations, so single ( particularly with 4ch units) is nice and easy.

and, yes, that stack was only there so i could link the rj45's up and program all the presets i need for the next few weeks. There actually all hanging off a 13A plugtop...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Shaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 7:53am
CSG, Very nice, well thought out, I like itThumbs Up

Edited by Shaun - 30 October 2015 at 7:53am
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 8:15am
Those X4's and X8's are pure sex. Very nice and tidy racks!

I dream of the day i can affford an X8 to power my 4-way Floodlight rig from a single amp. 
gorgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 8:16am
looks very nice, very professional Smile
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 9:28am
How's the airflow work with that rack setup Chris?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 10:55am
Forced out the big old perforated 2u slot on the rear of each I would imagine? The fans are no slouch in the X series, firing them up sounds like you're launching a jet engine.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 12:30pm
Would a bunch of 2U boxes not have suficed?

Do they really need that amount of room around them to prevent heating issues?

I see WHy you did it but surely you could have done it in smaller racks... even 3U if you really need the airflow and it would be a shorter stack and 1 box worth of space in the truck. I know it dont seem much but im just a hater of wasted space.

....oh, and highly jealous of your amps too! Lol
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 12:43pm
Derp, didn't spot the perforated bits on my phone screen!
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 3:55pm
Clap looks good, what will they be powering?

Originally posted by confused.com confused.com wrote:

Very nice Chris, very nice indeed, they should serve you well for a long time. I like the addition of the channel 1+2 and 3+4 speakons, couldn't get much more flexible and neat at the same time. 

Could also have done 1, 2, 3 & 4 and then have dual functionality of 1 and 3  as 1+2 and 3+4..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109>