Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting a warm sound? (with simulations)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2022 at 9:01am
I think jon from rc1 on this forum might have some ca18 for sale if you send him a message
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2022 at 10:24am
Axel, you need to put things into perspective. There is no single best amplifier. On speakerplans there has been a constant 20 year banter going on about which amps are best for subs. Every commercially available amplifier has been tried and discussed. 

Cost, weight, reliability are the main factors in the discussion. 

Any of the suggested amps will do a decent job for you. 

You have to realize that the field being discussed here is the equivalent of formula1/drag racing. Past what most people would consider satisfying and strong sub and bass. Eye wobbling, dust stirring, concrete cracking at its worst/best. 
Wolf of blackwood sound for example has six 1852 loaded full scoops on a 20 sqm room, and spanks them all night long on a bunch of chevin amps, until the ceiling cracks or a driver dies. (Many of his patrons prefer to hang outside the venue because its too damn intense LOL)

It all gets a bit silly when you consider that people used to drive one or two double 18" reflex boxes per channel on a CA18 (dub bassline from 8×jbl double18s on 2x CA18 made me dance and skank for the first time, before that i was a  headbanger LOL).

Now people bridge the damn things to spank just two drivers WackoLOL

Edited by bob4 - 28 December 2022 at 10:25am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

You have to realize that the field being discussed here is the equivalent of formula1/drag racing. Past what most people would consider satisfying and strong sub and bass. Eye wobbling, dust stirring, concrete cracking at its worst/best.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Twinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2022 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

CA18s can easily power x2 52s in bridge mode heard it plenty of times in the roots/dub circuit with very heavy bass material.

Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

There will be more than ample power available to run into power compression issues long before headroom issues

That's great news.
Originally posted by hi grade hi grade wrote:

I think jon from rc1 on this forum might have some ca18 for sale if you send him a message

Thank you very much. I will ask him.
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

It's difficult to guess for me what will give us the most rounded and musical tone. My friends and me are not about extreme volume.

We'll be happy if we find some sweet-sounding speakers and an amp that won't emphasize harshness that's in the music or in the speakers. 

When you slowly turn up the volume, there's a point when a scoop will change its tone. Not clipping but it sounds like somebody's humming along above the bass. Probably some kind of driver nonlinearity. Does this happen with the PD1852 in a medium chamber scoop before it reaches xmax? Can you run four PD1852s at a sensible volume before it happens?

There are some words used on this forum I haven't understood yet. What do people mean with "grunt"? Could you describe it to me? I often hear scoops that sound like a revving engine is playing the bassline. Sometimes the effect is more intense, sometimes it's less. Is that what grunt means?

Best wishes
Axel

Edited by Twinkle - 29 December 2022 at 10:35am
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Starting with simulations of Scoops, is the worst thing you can do.

No, not at all. I can tell by looking at those graphs which one will sound warm without looking at driver choices. How can I tell? by knowing that that their T/S will be completely different.

The flatter response (second graph) is the warmer sounding

The first graph with the two ''DOGS EARS'' is your more aggressive driver, a driver to clash with that will sound less warm.

Edited by KidCreole - 30 December 2022 at 10:52pm
Mykey Wattco
Twinkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2022 at 8:49pm
Ah, thank you for your explanation. I'm trying to piece together the sounds I hear with what people describe and with anything I read. I'm trying to learn what Thiele/Small parameters do to frequency response now.

I did some more reading on this forum. Is "grunt" a peak at low frequencies?

Best wishes
Axel
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2022 at 10:20pm
Looking at the current offerings of PD Inoticed a new driver in their 18" range

PD.185C003

Am I missing something, or does it look better on paper than the 1852?

185c003 has

Lower reso (33 vs 41,8)
Lower qts (0,24 vs 0,33)
Higher BL (31 vs 30)
Higher ebp (144 vs 122)
Both 5" VC
Ferrite vs ceramic
VAS is double that of the 1852 though......

Shouldnt this be better suited for horn loading? Its a few quid cheaper than the 1852 too......

.....and still, the big boy B&C drivers would probably outrun it, except price wise Ouch

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2022 at 11:15am
PD.185C003, will need larger chamber to play warm.

1852 designed to play low and warm, in small chamber Scoops.

PauliePaul was instrumental in design of the 1851/1852.

EDIT:But as in all things, proof is in the pudding..

Edited by levyte357- - 31 December 2022 at 1:13pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2023 at 10:51am

The only reason that hornresponse simulations do not seem to correlate with measurements is: People can´t do proper groundplane measurements. 

The hornresponse simulations are very accurate if you manage to get the dimensions and espansions in your final scoop. 

Edited by turbo7 - 17 January 2023 at 12:49pm
S&P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 9:46am
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on speakerplans. Saw this thread and subject title is interesting. 

Typical simulation tools that predict speaker response over a wide frequency range will not help with this. This is because warmness is nothing to do with SPL etc. It is to do with the introduction of harmonics, which these tools do not predict. You will need a simulation tool that enables you to predict the frequency response of a speaker with a single tone input signal. Ideally the simulation tool will enable at least 2D simulation, because the simplification that many tools assume of plane wave propagation (1D) does not capture the pressure wave interactions that introduce harmonics. 

Most of the simulation tools people are using were written years ago, based on acoustic theory. Necessary because of lack of computing power.  You’re really looking at using CFD tools nowadays to predict what you want, and with the availability of open source codes, anyone with a decent level of engineering training should be able to get their heads round it. I used to do this stuff in Star-CD when I used to work for the man.

Interesting topic though. 

Sounds & Pressure Audio
Sounds and Pressure Lo Fi Sound - Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae
http://www.facebook.com/events/412323448834558/432237103509859/?comment_id=432362186830684¬if_t=event_mall_reply#!/groups/75371249167/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678