Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15s
    Posted: 13 October 2004 at 12:45pm

Last night I did a little pub gig with an industrial band called bonemachine. I put in a pair of RCF Art300s and a pair of HD15s (with Celestion Frontline15s).

The sound was UNBELIEVABLE! The speakers moved forward a metre under their own power at one point!!! The HD15s were powered by a Carver PM15 and the Arts by a C-Audio RA3000. As would Rog put it, people DNA was being rearranged.

I can't wait to build the other 6 and that is just the start

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 1:20pm

Paving slabs do the job.

Perhaps we could meet to test your Celestion HD15 against my Eminence and P Audio units when I get around to making some measurements.  I'm still in the same Local TV region (Six).

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 3:23pm
hey guys - how do HD15 handle basslines?  -  
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 3:32pm
Chucks 'em well.  HD15 cabinets have a good throw.  Bass is as good at 20M as it is at 3M.
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 4:10pm
Cool ! - thanx
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 4:19pm
dammit - forgot to ask -  where should the upper speaker roll-in from HD15?  - how about highpass point to protect HD15?  TIA 
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 5:08pm
I seem to recall 180Hz, but I've taken them past 250Hz and the overall system response was still pretty flat.  The higher cut-off just makes the amplifier gain positions easy for my system, bass and top gains are equal.
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 5:10pm
Sorry, that was low pass.  I use somewhere between 30 and 50Hz for High Pass, but it's not critical for my use, as the units are not wellied!
PoteirosCorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoteirosCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 5:44pm

Did you only use the HD15's or put another sub below ??

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 7:44pm

Only one HD15 a side was used for bass, P Audio driver.  Bose 802 were used for tops.  Quite a nice matched system, with a good throw from both units.  802's were used with a full range bose active crossover, but another crossover was used upstream to adjust the cross point from the HD15 to the 802's.

Subjectively a HD15 is a match against a 2x15" reflex cab, but I've not made measurements yet to compare output levels.  If only there was more time...

PoteirosCorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoteirosCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 7:59pm

Hi Andrew,  I bought 8 eminence kappa 15 thinking on build a 2x15 sub with them(my DAS 15LM were moved to a 2x15 top)

The HD15 is very very tempted, but I still donīt want to charge subs with them ( 2  HD15  and 1 2x15 top per side will be lovely)

Return the kappas to get the kappas15LF  ??
or stick with the 2x15  ?? 

P.S. What about you miniphil, use subs with the HD15 ??

P.S.2 Not all M*****Fuc****s are policeman, but all police man are M*****Fuc****s

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 8:55pm

My first HD15 was built with 18mm ply and houses a Kappa 15LF, and shakes like hell.  Then I built two HD15 out of 15mm ply, almost glueing the cabinet together with gripfill, rather than put in any timber.  These units have the P Audio drivers in them, they don't shake half as much, but sound just as loud.  However I've not done a strict comparison yet to determine / measure actual output levels.

I did a response of a complete system with the 2 P Audio cabinets and virtually had to undo the dip I put in around 125Hz to compensate for the hump on the design plot, only about 2dB variance.

When I spoke to Rog about the shaking, he suggested that the cast driver frame is keeping the HD15 cabinet rigid, whereas the HD15 is trying to keep the pressed driver frame rigid.

Will definitely do a measurement some day.  Would be good to test a local HD15 with Celestion driver too!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>