Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Highest amplifier supply rails?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUZguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highest amplifier supply rails?
    Posted: 06 March 2012 at 10:53pm
Was wondering what amp has the highest +/- voltage rails in the non tier designs? i.e. single pos. rail, zero and single neg. rail.
Peter Papp [PKN] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Papp [PKN] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 11:06pm
PKN 3PHASE-20K   +/- 276V
I have not seen any other audio amps with even close values
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 1:55am
You are of course talking semiconductor and not thermionic.
Billy Dawg.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Peter Papp [PKN Peter Papp [PKN wrote:

]PKN 3PHASE-20K   +/- 276V

Have they invented a speaker that can work at that voltage level (or is that a lighting amp LOL)?? Confused
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Papp [PKN Peter Papp [PKN wrote:

]PKN 3PHASE-20K   +/- 276V

Have they invented a speaker that can work at that voltage level (or is that a lighting amp LOL)?? Confused

I'm sure there is a car-audio "speaker" out there that claims to handle 10k... Would be a fun experiment.

In reality however, that kind of amp would be for driving many speakers at once, not just one! So the loads would be connected series-parallel to achieve the best loading for the amp and also voltage across each driver.
Peter Papp [PKN] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Papp [PKN] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 11:14am
There are just very few speakers which can handle above 200V peaks. I meant only peaks with super carefully maintained average-to-peak ratio with rms limiter, etc...
The ability of extra headroom compared the +/- 276V to an amp for example an XE6000 with 190V rail (which is still pretty high) is significant even on moderated power levels with smaller speakers too.
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 11:59am
If you mean class-AB with no rail switching (i.e. not class G/H) then i've seen up to +/- 90/100V split rails but there are probably more extreme examples out there (Maplin 1kW amp kit or OMP 1kW MOSFET amp perhaps?). Above these rail voltages it's harder to find decent transistors and more effeciency from class-G/H helps keep dissipation down anyway whilst lowering the maximum voltage the devices see.
Class-D is a different matter of course...
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 1:46pm
What about a big valve amp, don't they have kV supply rails?
music is the message
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 3:22pm
I'm a bit skeptic about PKN 3PHASE-20K power ratings. I would like to see the design. Which transistor they used in the output? Transistors that can withstand at least 550V and designed for audio? Unfortunately this is beyond my knowledge.

/me digging on the net about this case....Ouch
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 3:45pm
1.21 gigawatts per rail.

Sorry i was waiting for someone to say that, thought i would get in there first. LOLLOL
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 4:31pm
Anode supply voltage to KT66 of 475-575v.
Anode supply voltage to V1505 of 2-2.5kV.

From the Audio Freq. Amplifier Design book from GEC ltd (London) 1957.
music is the message
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by M4trix M4trix wrote:

I'm a bit skeptic about PKN 3PHASE-20K power ratings. I would like to see the design. Which transistor they used in the output? Transistors that can withstand at least 550V and designed for audio? Unfortunately this is beyond my knowledge.

/me digging on the net about this case....Ouch

Class D will use switching transistors - usualy fets, not audio devices. 

{Maybe that´s why they don´t sound right, haha. Just kidding!} LOL

Edited by Earplug - 07 March 2012 at 6:28pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>