Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I guess i'm no carpenter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 2:46pm
i think if you are going for 8 a table saw is worth the money
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 5:47pm
I tried to do mitres without a table saw the first time, tried belt sander, plane, 45 degree router bit, nothing does it properly. Now I've got a £40 eight inch Titan tablesaw from Screwfix that I've mounted into a larger table so i can cut full sheets. As long as I take care to completely ignore the markings on its angle gauge and use an angle measurer, and make test cuts, it works really well. Blade tends to vibrate if you haven't got the fence exactly parallel, which means sometimes the panel will be a mm or so out. But far superior to anything else and, like i said, £40.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 8:35pm
I made a guide for a £30 130mm skillsaw. It takes a cut or two on a scrap piece to get the angle and length stop set right, then I can do as many identical cuts as I need.

Whatever cutting tool you use it'll take a few goes before you can get consistent accurate cuts.

I always draw out a full scale plan of the horns internals then cut the pieces to fit it. It's more important to get a good fit between all pieces then to be spot on with the plan.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 4:46pm
Look into buying a festool. They are guided hand saws similar looking to the pic above, but they are ridiculously accurate and give an ultra-clean cut too.
djtecthreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtecthreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 4:50pm
Thanks for all the tips guys.   I've tried to figure out a way to seal it up as best as possible, and I can use it around the house for low end.   Definitely not gig worthy.

In the mean time,  I talked to my uncle who used to be a cabinet builder and doesn't build things unless they're right.  His work is 100%, the only down side is-  he's about 400 miles away.     But it may be possible for him to build them and I finish them off.

-Jim
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 5:17pm
Festool make some pretty amazing saw/guide rail combos...

You could make him do the cutting and make some flat packs... If he is a cabinet maker, it is worth requesting rebating (cutting grooves) in the two side panels so the rest just slide in.
Away on extended leave.
Caeraphym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caeraphym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 5:44pm
Measure twice cut once innit.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by djtecthreat djtecthreat wrote:

Thanks for all the tips guys.   I've tried to figure out a way to seal it up as best as possible, and I can use it around the house for low end.   Definitely not gig worthy.

In the mean time,  I talked to my uncle who used to be a cabinet builder and doesn't build things unless they're right.  His work is 100%, the only down side is-  he's about 400 miles away.     But it may be possible for him to build them and I finish them off.

-Jim

Maybe you could have a trip up for a few days, pay him for the materials and buy a few beers (or whatever his vice is) and go about putting one together or at least cutting all the pieces and fitting them for accuracy before assembling back home.

Or perhaps even just try a smaller one off design to get more tips from someone who knows whats what.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 2:29am
festool saw is definitely on my shopping list. unfortunately, it's a fair way down it..
djtecthreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtecthreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 11:22pm
Well, I got anxious and I threw the sub together quickly and left out the bottom bracing, just so I could hear the potential.  Then I just put an EAW 18" i had laying around in there, and screwed a piece of wood over the opening with some gasket foam.

My little brother wanted to sit in it.   So heres that picture.

Sorry for the camera-phone picture.

I'm INCREDIBLY impressed by this sub even with the 100's of leaks, wrong angles, wrong sub woofer, and under-powered (500 QSC watts).    It really punishes.

Maybe if I can just get a grasp on the wood-working I can make some really impressive low end with this design. 
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 1:36pm
That's the spirit. Glad to see you got it finished regardless.

A gluegun is very good for sealing minor leaks btw.
MR-FIZZLE-89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MR-FIZZLE-89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Caeraphym Caeraphym wrote:

Measure twice cut once innit.

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>