Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is a crossover enough?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is a crossover enough?
    Posted: 25 November 2015 at 6:02pm
I'm in the process of getting some HD15's and loading them with Fane Sovereign 15-400 LF, as the specs mostly match what should go into one of these boxes.

Now for my question.A reputable person told me that I will most likely damage/destroy my drivers by only using a crossover,and not a DSP.

Bare with me,he told me that I should high pass my HD's to 50hz.I'm still sort of new,only operated smaller systems before,and never used an x-over.Is it not in the capabilities of a crossover to high pass my bins?The person also mentioned something about the HD's needing EQ correction points.I'm sorry if I'm not making this clear,translating technical terms is a total bitch.

If I do, indeed need a DSP, is there a workaround?Like getting maybe an equalizer and crossover?

Sorry if this seems a tad bit incoherent, not being able to understand is extremely frustrating.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 6:18pm
By cross over you mean active not passive rite?... if so a crossover will be "ok" but you really want something you can set delays with to get a better result. You wont destroy them but you also wont get the best sound you can out of them. A crossover is a good start and a cheapy like the berry 3400 has a delay function so you will get a better result then mst crossovers.

If you mean passive crossover... then dont both building HD at all. Lol
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 6:23pm
So,I should pick up and active cross over first.As I understand it, this will enable me to set the frequencies to where they need to be.

Aside from an active crossover what should my next purchase be?

Thanks
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 6:31pm
But,wait,why would I need delays?I'm going to be stacking 4 HD's,eventually 6 with a pair of good tops.From what I can gather you would use a delay in case of different types of subs.

Edited by tekcsedi - 25 November 2015 at 6:33pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:02pm
what kind of crossover have you got, or are you planning on?

the delay is for.. this reason
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

what kind of crossover have you got, or are you planning on?

the delay is for.. http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=faq2 - this reason

Finally something that makes sense in the last 48h.
Don't have one.I'm open to suggestions.Guess I'm getting one with delay.
Anything else I would need for the system to sound proper?
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:27pm
you can't set any decent highpass on a simple active crossover. All of them have no highpass or a25 Hz highpass.

It's stupid to use something like that on a horn.

You'll blow the speakers on your first event.
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 7:47pm
And a DSP can do that safely,I presume?
Also,when you said EQ correction points,did you mean the delays?

To recap, I would need to do the following things to get the sound right and not destroy my drivers:
-Delay
-50hz Highpass
-Coupling the horn mouths properly

Did I miss anything?
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Mircea Bartic Mircea Bartic wrote:

It's stupid to use something like that on a horn.

You'll blow the speakers on your first event.

....and then phone the person you bought them from and try to get them replaced under warranty claiming you only ever used them at half power at a christening.

(I'm not joking either.... this has happened)

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2015 at 10:58am
+1 on the dsp, you'll get much more out of your speakers, you'll have your delay, your x-over and eq all in one. What will you be using your system for?
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2015 at 11:03am
I'll be getting a DSP for sure,eventually.
Mostly outdoor parties,planning to follow the caravan in the summer.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by tekcsedi tekcsedi wrote:

I'll be getting a DSP for sure,eventually.
Mostly outdoor parties,planning to follow the caravan in the summer.

Don't get it eventally, get it now!

No proper lms with highpass is a recepy for tears and a lot of shredded drivers. Borrow one for the time being, don't waste your money on an active crossover!
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>