Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Line-X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Line-X
    Posted: 27 January 2016 at 7:58pm
Evening Gents!

Just wanted to ask peoples opinion on Line-X coating for speaker boxes. There was quite a big deal about it on the forum over the last couple of years and it seemed nothing but positive reviews were heard. I have seen what it is like in the flesh and it really is a lovely finish.

I was wondering now a year or so has passed, are the reviews still as good as they were initially? has it lived up to your expectations? and ultimately is it as tough as everyone was saying? so worth the outlay?

By all means feel free to post pics of your line-X finished rigs/cabs Thumbs Up

Cheers
Jim
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 8:02pm
ive seen it chip on some cabs, but over all, its better than standard coatings, if a little pricey.
https://www.elements-audio.com
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 8:14pm
Basically looks great and is very hard wearing, but of course it will chip and scratch over time which is a pain when needing a touch up. It also added a fair bit of weight to my mates cabs i helped to move around.

If you can afford the outlay then it is a very good option to go with and won't be disappointed.

Personally and after much thought i would choose warnex or 2 part properly sprayed and get some road covers. No matter what option, if you do enough gigs then they'll need maintaining at some point.

Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 8:17pm
Cheers guys, my biggest concern would be chipping and not being able to touch up at a later date.. food for thought
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 8:26pm
you can get chips repaired, they do, do repair kits. Last lot I had done I was offered repair kits...

If you want line x contact linex direct and they will put you in contact with an authorised spray centre, There are other cheaper brands being sold as line x.... did not take long lol...
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 10:15pm
Nice one, cheers for the heads up
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 9:01pm
my experience of 4 or so years is still very good. The first batch of my mk3 single 18's are still out there and have clocked up 100's of gigs and truck packs in that time, and none are needing refurb. Warnex / 2 pack cant touch that, even with covers.

there are various grades out there, my preference for durability is a softer, more rubbery coating as this marks less and does not chip like harder grades. 3mm thick for subs, 1.5mm for smaller cabs generally.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 9:19pm
No denying it's stronger than warnex/2 pack, i just meant in my case it worked out better to go with covers and fresh coats now and then at this time. Plus i'd still use the covers if i change my mind :) 

That's interesting on the different grades Chris, not sure i've seen the softer stuff in the flesh in that case.
Does it 'grip' better if it is more rubbery?
JEB88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEB88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 9:45pm
Anyone who's line-x'd their cabs, how do you find the dirt sticks to them? I'm thinking about getting my cabs line-x'd but just wondering if it's going to be nightmare to clean them with the sandpaper looking texture of line x 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2016 at 9:48pm
jet spray em clean... if they get dirty. (remove driver first lol)
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 2:52pm
Yes, the softer stuff does grip a little better, no substitute for feet and sockets though. 

+1 on the  occasional jetwash, although i have to confess we don't drop the drivers out...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 8:00pm
Perfect, thanks for the info Gents....Chris you have a pm Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>