Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

making the curved section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making the curved section
    Posted: 22 November 2007 at 5:56pm
Hey guys i'm planning to build a pair of super scoops within the next couple of months (pretty much soon as i can afford the ply) and i was wondering if you could make the actual scoop out of sections of 18mm ply like people do with the curved section of the hd15, thus:

(pic from HBL's hd215 build)

alex

Edited by supasniper - 22 November 2007 at 5:58pm
bill-77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill-77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 6:39pm
i,m pretty much sure you can..i saw a picture of tony a,s,s scoops on forum some where he had that scoop shape made in that way ,,,try looking for the forum or send him a pm for advice he,s very helpful regards bill
WISDOM IS BETTER THEN SILVER AND GOLD!!
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 6:46pm
yeah, the RX18 jnr (one of Tony A.S.S.'s babies) uses a curved section like that. have a search for it. 
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
bort_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bort_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 12:07pm
if a 3mm ply is used instead of this solution... 6x3mm is the rule or may be enough 3 or 4 x3mm ?

using less ply will result in bad distortions and vibrating ?
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 4:52pm
Not if you glue them together i don' think. Insomnia? Dom?
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
bort_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bort_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 9:20pm
good news.. i think of glueing them togheter and then screw to the support of the curve
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2007 at 9:42pm
The staggared curve that is in the RX18 is made by rebating the joints at a certain angle and then overlapping them. I hope you can piture it. I would never butt joint anything. This method will give you a much larger glueing and therefore added strength.
ToNy MoNtAnA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNy MoNtAnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:15am
Originally posted by supasniper supasniper wrote:

Hey guys i'm planning to build a pair of super scoops within the next couple of months (pretty much soon as i can afford the ply) and i was wondering if you could make the actual scoop out of sections of 18mm ply like people do with the curved section of the hd15, thus:

(pic from HBL's hd215 build)

alex

That kind of curve, but would reinforce every curve section with a bit of wood under it like the middle piece has.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:07pm
this is the 3rd time I have shown thisWacko

if you do it this way its stronger and a cleaner look and easier to sand down
this can be used for a horn section or a scoop section
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

this is the 3rd time I have shown thisWacko

and there will probably be a fourth, fifth, etc.

it takes three or four times longer doing it like that as you have to have more cuts, the cut width and depth have to be super accurate and you will need some type of accurate former whilst glue.

abit pointless when you think a good table saw would cut all the pieces of wood in a flash.

why try and fix something thats not broken?

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 1:45pm
stick to your keyboard and leave it to the profesionals please
 this is how we in FACTORYS do it not garden sheds and garages

I've seen your work HBL and I dont like it sorry
stick to what your good at

Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

stick to your keyboard and leave it to the profesionals please
 this is how we in FACTORYS do it not garden sheds and garages

I've seen your work HBL and I dont like it sorry
stick to what your good at

thats fine mykey, everyone is entitled to their opinion

it may have escaped your attention but we do not build in factories. most dont even have table saws

im not too impressed with yours either mate...  looks as rough as a pigs ass.  maybe you should leave the building to your workforce?  its a good thing you 'outsourced' the building of your cab... it might look half decent with no 2"x4" as the support!

back to the point at hand, i would be shocked if anyone used your 'advanced' method of making the curve

you never seem to be able to defend your statements without throwing a hissy fit, why not try and act as professional as you say you are and counter my post with why you think its incorrect rather then CONSTANTLY having to bicker.

Edited by Heathrow_B_line - 03 December 2007 at 2:22pm
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>