Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin W8C drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muchroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin W8C drivers
    Posted: 30 March 2015 at 10:13am
I have recently acquired some w8c boxes and they appear to be fitted with original drivers. the numbers on some cannot be seen when opening up the box however resistance ratings can.

Original drivers are said to be:

DC D025 - 1" ... seems to be the same in mine
DLS 1050 - 6.5" ...which is a 16ohm driver...mine clearly says 8 ohm on the back
DLS 252 - 12" ... same as mine is

I'm a bit confused, on the martin spec sheet for the w8c the impedence ratings seem to be around the wrong way. This sheet says LF = 8, MF = 16, HF = 16, where as i find written on the back of my drivers LF = 16, MF = 8, HF = 8...

https://martin-audio.com/downloads/datasheets/W8Cdatasheet.pdf

Also does anyone know the equivilant RCF model numbers? 

DLS 252 seems to be the L12P520, but does anyone know the others?

Also does anyone know the resistance if these are run in passive crossover mode? if the 1" and 6.5" are both 8ohm, should i assume these are wired in siries and are 150 + 60 = 210 @ 16ohm...somehow i get the feeling this is not quite correct...

Any help with these issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited by muchroom - 30 March 2015 at 1:13pm
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2015 at 11:11pm
http://forum.speakerplans.com/ma-w8c-6_topic86784_post866657.html?KW=w8c#866657
error 404
muchroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muchroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 2:05am
sweet thanks man that was helpful, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm still at a loss as to whats going on with the resistance though. That PHL 6.5" has a 16r rating, and I can see mine has a 8ohm (it also has the martin audio markings on it so pretty confident its genuine).

also it seems weird they would use an RCF 12", PHL 6.5" and a B&C 1"...or is this often normal for companies to use drivers from different manufacturers?

brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 9:22pm
are you measuring through the xover? 

error 404
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 9:23pm
the phl is pretty bespoke as far as i can tell.. i ordered one and it took about 2 months to come 

if the different drivers sound good .. why not? 
error 404
muchroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muchroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2015 at 3:04am
I will measure in the next couple on the terminals to double check if my mid driver is actually the 8ohm it says it is. at the minute i was just reading the numbers off the back of the driver itself. 

As per the drivers, i have been in contact with Martin audio since and they still stock all of them. and they are as follows:

LF: DLS 252 – 8 ohm

MF: DLS 1050  - 16 ohm

HF: DCD 025 – 8 ohm.... + 8 ohm for the crossover making it a 16ohm circuit

as for why not use others? I want my whole system to be the same. if I were to change one i'd want to change them all otherwise my EQ settings in my DSP may have to be different for each cab and probably a whole other bunch of issues will pop up.

Cheers guys, been very helpful

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2015 at 1:44pm
The AC impedance varies with frequency, and the number quoted in the spec is only a nominal figure.

Measuring at the speaker terminals with a multimeter will only give you the DC resistance (Re). For example a typical 16 ohm driver will have an Re around 6 or 7 ohms.

Edited by madboffin - 01 April 2015 at 1:47pm
izzzzzz6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izzzzzz6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 9:32am
Hi Did you ever find out why your 12" driver was marked 16 ohms?
  I have blown a 12" in a W8C and am looking at options for repairing/replacing it.
I don't see a L12P520 on the RCF website but there are some re-cones available on bluearan and on ebay.
  Does anyone have any spares?

Sound
izzzzzz6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izzzzzz6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 3:07pm
I have blown 6x of the 6.5" drivers from my W8CT (after a DSP fault).
  Did anyone find any recone kits available? This is going to get quite pricey if i buy all new drivers (+shipping)!
Also on a side note i ended up replacing the 12" drivers in my W8C's with the RCF L12L750 (8Ω). Seem to work ok. 
  But i would probably want to know the exact driver if replacing any in my W8CM because i have 8 drivers in total and they work together in parallel.

Sound
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2018 at 2:37am
It could have been taken out of a W8 cab and out into the w8c, pretty sure they are 16 ohm mids?
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 11:08pm
Yes, the original W8 (later re-named W8T) used a PHL 1050-16.

The 1" was a B&C DE25 and, in the early ones, the 12" were a pair of ATC PA50-314-16-BASS. Later changed to RCF L12P520, can't remember if they were 8 or 16 ohms.

I'm not sure what was in the W8CT and CM but they would have been standard drivers supplied as OEM,  rather than true specials...

Edited by madboffin - 19 April 2018 at 11:16pm
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:11am
you can't recone the 6.5".. 

new drivers i'm afraid 
error 404
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>