Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - MATAMP Super Nova Mixer/Epping forest country club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MATAMP Super Nova Mixer/Epping forest country club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 12:58pm
How much you're asking for it? Tongue
johnnysh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 1:08pm

I am no amateur and take my electronic profession very seriously, there is very little I can not repair in the DJ world / pro AV industry, MatAmp used my services as the south England repair for MatAmp equipment back in the 80s & 90s

When I picked up this mixer from the Epping Forest Country Club it was ready for the skip, and I mean ready, It was totally trashed after 16 years of abuse, It had fault after fault, there was only a few channels working, just.. The output module was totally in trouble,

You can see If I do a Job I do it correctly, No toy town repairs with me,

I replaced, new Knobs, Faders, Facia plates, you name it, it got renewed

Edited by johnnysh - 31 October 2012 at 4:27pm
johnnysh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 1:17pm

Edited by johnnysh - 31 October 2012 at 4:12pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 1:19pm
Lovely job John. Clap

How much would that have cost new in 1990-ish?
Be seeing you.
johnnysh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 1:27pm
It was not cheap, but because it was modular it varied in price

Edited by johnnysh - 31 October 2012 at 3:08pm
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 2:20pm
ssshhh shhhh sshhh!
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by johnnysh johnnysh wrote:

I was the resident DJ from 1992, 2002 at the Epping Forest Country Club, 

They had a crazy TOA system installed by John Boman Daniels, It Kicked Ass.

TOA I hear you say!, well I don't know what drivers they used? It was mad, one of the crazyest sound systems I remember in a night club of that era

The Mixer was a very rare, A System 2000 mixer (Silver) , by Formula Sound, (another very nice mixer)

those were the days....Smile
John, a friend of mine aquired a pair of Toa speakers in the mid 90's, at the time we were told they came out of the country club.  They were full range, 18" bass bin with a compression driver.  Still has them today - used for mobile disco's.

Did you Dj with Terry in the house or over in the jungle?

johnnysh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 3:54pm
I was club side, Terry is a close friend, along with big lee,

I still DJ today with terry and lee, that TOA system was crazy, the chiminey breast in the country club was filled to the top with low power TOA amps about 300watts per channel, no fans!
But there was so many of them each driving a pair of cabs, the end result was a very loud pumping sounds system that sounded amazing, due to having so many amps driving so many cabs.

It was also the first time I had seen a professional speaker management system in a club also made by TOA

It was a crazy sound system, from a company you would not associate will nutty sound systems

Edited by johnnysh - 31 October 2012 at 4:10pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 3:59pm
The Flamingo in blackpool used to have a big TOA system
Kevin

North Staffordshire

simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by johnnysh johnnysh wrote:

I was club side, Terry is a close friend, along with big lee,

I still DJ today with terry and lee, that TOA system was crazy, the chiminey breast in the country club was filled to the top with low power TOA amps about 300watts per channel, no fans!
But there was so many of them each driving a pair of cabs, the end result was a very loud pumping sounds system that sounded amazing, due to having so many amps driving so many cabs.

It was also the first time I had seen a professional speaker management system in a club also made by TOA

It was a crazy sound system, from a company you would not associate will nutty sound systems
Yes, I have good memories of the sound in the House, a misspent youth, loved that place, didn't like the jungle.  I remember the chiminey breast and the amps...  From memory it used to face the bar.  You could stand at the bar and see all the amps lit up.

Will be seeing Terry the weekend after next.

johnnysh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 4:31pm
Would that be bogner by any chance lol

And yes the amps faced the bars with lots of pretty LEDs flashing away behind smoked glass

Edited by johnnysh - 31 October 2012 at 4:34pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 4:41pm
This is the DJ booth at Epping Forest country club in 1981 after a refit,with a Matamp Supernova! This replaced the earlier Allen and Heath production mixer which had been in use since the mid 1970's.

The 1981 refit also included three HH V-series mosfet amps,V200,V500 and V800 which replaced four prehistoric 100 watt Partridge amps!

DJ Simon Harris on the Supernova.

Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>