Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maybe build the Punisher 2’s???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe build the Punisher 2’s???
    Posted: 17 June 2005 at 10:04pm

The 15 inch scoop I bought from mans1000 is extremelly heavy and thats unloaded too.Probably cos its made of 22mm MDF. And even the help of my strong friend we couldn't lift it up the stairs.

So will have to keep that in the garage and only use that for events on the ground floor.

So I guess the Punisher 2 is more compact and less heavy than a 15 inch scoop, if I build a Punisher out of 15mm birch ply???

But hopefully 2x Punishers 2's stacked together and used in events I do on the 2nd floor with max 100 ppl will be sufficent?? [mostly reggae,dub or dnb is played].

I would use the suggested Ciare driver and power it with either a bridged rmx2450 each punisher 2 bin[giving it 1500w rms each], or get a rmx1850hd and then [two in bridge,900w rms each driver] or rmx4050hd [two punisher 2 bin's in bridge] but 2000w rms to each driver might f**k it.

But how difficult is it to build the punisher 2??? And how heavy would it be with the Ciare driver in it, if I make it out of 15mm birch ply???

Cost is not a problem this time as the Ciare drivers is only £99 each. So could afford to spend more on 15mm or 18mm birch ply.

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 11:31pm
It's a how long is a piece of string question innit? 

The punisher certainly looks more complicated than a scoop, which is more complicated than an X1 which is more complicated than a closed box. Have you ever built a box? You seem to talk about buying or having them made for you a lot, so I figure your a box building newb like my good self.

Speaking of which I was out looking at table saws today, my local store has a small one for $87 so that maybe the way to go. I can swivel the blade on it and everything.

Please all critcise it now, before I buy it.

I'm thinking of skipping the shallow end, and jumping in the middle of the pool by building some scoops to start with, hey with a handle like rastaman, what do you expect Then after a slew of scoops I will progress towards the deep end, with some folded horns, like looneys, or punishers, or LABhorns depending what fits in best, maybe one of Roborgs infrabass beasties.

So Toxic is the Punisher more like half a LAB or a cut down looney bin? At tb_mikes advice I've been reading through the LAB history, and they talk at one point about a halfLAB, though it sounds like it's kind of a one hand clapping deal, where you need the other halfLAB to get anywhere, wheras Punisher people say that even one a side produces some nice sounds.

Anyone in the Midwest who wants to show of their horn in me barnyard, get in touch I have the luxury of no close neighbours, we could run experiments on how corn responds to sub-bass (or after reading the Holliman stuff, infrabass)

Edited by rastaman
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 3:59am
Ahhhhhhhh! so thats how crop-circles are made! CORN + HEAVY BASS = FLATTENING.
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 4:06am
Originally posted by ToXiC ToXiC wrote:

The 15 inch scoop I bought from mans1000 is extremelly heavy and thats unloaded too.Probably cos its made of 22mm MDF. And even the help of my strong friend we couldn't lift it up the stairs.

So will have to keep that in the garage and only use that for events on the ground floor.

errrrrrrr....a daft question,but were u planning to use it in your bedroom?.....i can see a new topic coming on....."ultimate bedroom Hi-fi".......or."how many bass cabs can i fit in a room and still leave room for a bed" or....."No Mum,im sure the ceiling wont collapse under the weight,i have positioned it all carefully......."
Be seeing you.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 4:13am
A punisher and a scoop are different animals completely. The punishers would pull the pants off the scoop output-wise. When stacked huugely the scoops might go a little lower, but as to the rest....

Two punishers should be more than enough for 100 peeps (actually, one should be enough). Two mid-tops like the X12 would be a simple addition or if you want it really simple but a little bigger X15s.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:17am

Ok one Punisher 2 then!!!

And although my woodworking skills are pretty crap,my m8 offered to help me build it[as his job is a carpenter].

So if I use the pair of RCF ART 500's and pair of Behringer B1520's too[modified with Eminence Delta Pro 15's now] with 1x Punisher 2, I don't want the Punisher 2 to over power the mid/tops or the mid/tops to over power the Punisher 2. What I mean by that is don't wanna hear just bass or don't wanna hear just a lot of mid/highs.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:26am

So apart from the driver and wood and bits and pieces like screws are there any special things the Punisher 2 has???

I know the Labsub has special metal access covers, not sure if Punisher 2 has that? Or just a normal wooden access panel.

Also what adhesive and what sealent are used to make the Punisher2??

Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 12:31pm
Punisher is about 45kg I think. Access cover is just 15mm birch ply. I think our carpenter is going to caulk (spelling?) the joints. Just make sure the sealed section is a very good air tight seal.

Get the 2005 driver with 8 bits on the spider. We're buildng one now and trying it out as an idea as to what it can do but chances are we will stick with them.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 12:56pm

Someone told me to make the whole punisher 2 out of 15mm birch ply as its much lighter than making it out of 18mm birch ply.

Will poly filler give a good enough air tight seal??

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:02pm

Oh and does the Punisher double as a sub bass bin and a kick bin in one???

I mean would I be able to get from 45hz-200hz out of it??

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:58pm

Wouldn't you be better off building a pair of 18in reflex cabinets?

They would work easily down to 40hz, and upto 200hz like you want, and would be lightweight and much cheaper / easier to build.

Or you could buy a couple of Basys B15 subs

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 3:09pm

Had 18 inch reflex cabs before, hated them and got rid of them.

Cost is not a problem as the Punisher driver is only £99, and 15mm birch ply for 1 Punisher won't cost more than £100. My m8 is a carpenter and is willing to help so even if its complex to build,with his help I'll get them done. And as long as two people can lift the punisher its not too heavy.

Just wanna make sure 1x Punisher covers the range 50hz-200hz.

Edited by ToXiC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>