Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid/Tops to compliment 1850s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid/Tops to compliment 1850s
    Posted: 18 September 2004 at 5:51pm
Which mid/top cabs do you guys recommend to compliment the 1850s?
I'm off to the wood shop next saturday to get my materials for the horns. I intend to build 4 and have them in 1 mono stack. Musically I intend to play house, breaks, dub etc (no Techno or similar music with a sharp kick).

If I have them in 1 stack I should get down to 40(ish)hz right? What power will I need to put in if I load them with the void 1000s with the 5" coil? May be looking at a valve amp as one of the guys has a few quid and is biased towards valve.

Many thanks

Tendril

A mistake is a mistake only if one learns nothing from it.
tendril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 5:57pm
ps.  being a bit lazy here and can't handle the maths atm:

how many sheets of 8by4 18mm 13layer will I need for 4 horns?
Tendril

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 5:58pm

2 x MT122s would probrably be best.

An infinite 8 would power 4 x 1850 horns nicely. For the Mid/Hi cabs, you could use 2 of the smaller Infinite amps, or the Kinetic range.

Jamie

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 6:13pm
8 sheets of 8'x4', might need a few extra scraps for small braces inside and the battons on the hatch
tendril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 6:35pm
Cheers fellas.

Any build photos of the mt122s coming up in the near future? (@rog)

Cheers
Tendril

Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 9:27pm

I built some MT122s just under a year ago...loaded with P Audio SN12MB mids and Beyma CP800Ti tops...

Some photos of the build here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/julz_angell/speakers.htm

They sound fanatstic, but be prepared for the fact that they are heavy...Dom has built the mids as seperate 12" cabs and the tops seperate from those again...

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
tendril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 10:29pm
Nice pics julz.

Did you cut access holes in the rear panel or did you make the whole of the rear panel removable?
Tendril

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 10:41pm

Great pictures.  Would you recommend starting from the inside bits, or build the outer carcase first?

Also, would it be possible to take a pair of scales to the MT122 and give us an indication of how much they weigh?

TIA Fushion.

jerre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2004 at 4:34am

@Julz

I see you 've used the sn12mb instead of the sn12b, nice to know they sounds good in that design. The reson I find this interresting is that I'm first willing to build the x12's and lateron move foreward the mt122's (the 122's are just to big at this moment to compliment my subs).

What subs do u use below them and how much power do you put on them (since a single 12mb is for about an 200Wrms)

greets J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 1:46pm

Originally posted by tendril tendril wrote:

Nice pics julz.

Did you cut access holes in the rear panel or did you make the whole of the rear panel removable?

The whole back panel is removeable....

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Great pictures.  Would you recommend starting from the inside bits, or build the outer carcase first?

Also, would it be possible to take a pair of scales to the MT122 and give us an indication of how much they weigh?

TIA Fushion.

I cut up all the bits first...inside in 12mm ply and carcass in 18mm...

Then assembled each horn section onto one side panel starting with the baffle panel and the small ledge/divider beneath it. Then the next bits were the base (inside) lower and upper panels (although the upper one was not glued at that point) of the horn..the one in a single bit..and then assembled the 4 small sides of the horn followed by the top of the horn being glued and then the top and bottom of the carcass. Finally the last side panel was fitted.

As for weighing them, I haven't any scales to take the weight! My kitchen scales wouldn't cope, methinks!
I would estimate that each weighs around 50-60 Kg fully loaded...More to the point, though, is they are just marginally too big to handle for one person....

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by jerre jerre wrote:

@Julz

I see you 've used the sn12mb instead of the sn12b, nice to know they sounds good in that design. The reson I find this interresting is that I'm first willing to build the x12's and lateron move foreward the mt122's (the 122's are just to big at this moment to compliment my subs).

What subs do u use below them and how much power do you put on them (since a single 12mb is for about an 200Wrms)

greets J

***Warning*** Mistype/misprint

Sorry, chap, got that wrong...should have said SN12B (not MB) for the 12" drivers...

They are 8ohm versions, so the cab is 4ohm in total. Each driver is rated at 300w (so 600w for the cab) and the usually get 1000w each from a C-audio RA4001. However, they have had 1250w into each with no adverse effects.
The Beyma CP800Ti are also 8ohm but as there is only one, that means 8ohm per cab...They are rated at 150w and I usually power them with a QSC RMX2450 (about 500w/ch into 8ohm) although the gains are reduced, somewhat, as the drivers are very efficient!

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>