Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mounting v1000s in 1850s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mounting v1000s in 1850s
    Posted: 10 December 2007 at 3:55pm
we just got 4x 1850s that were previously loaded with PD1850s

we have got 4x V1000s to stick in them - i was told they are the same fittings as 1850s but they are not

how am i going to do this? i think i can drill all the new holes with a 90 degree drill attachment, though maybe not the one right at the back - could i get away with just a woodscrew in that one?

how can i get the t nuts to stay in on the other side of the baffle? screw them in dead tight without the driver in place then a bit of epoxy?

please help, i am a bit stressed about this!!!

Confused

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2007 at 4:10pm
errrr, they must have changed the mounting then, or maybey the 1850 we used to use were fitted for both [quit possible] also i have seen drivers held into 1850 horns with just woodscrews, just make sure you take your time with any filling and drilling, take it youve got bioteks old horns? if so well done a nice set of horns you have there [well either way]
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2007 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by antiG antiG wrote:

how can i get the t nuts to stay in on the other side of the baffle? screw them in dead tight without the driver in place then a bit of epoxy?

hold the t nuts in place, with your hand through the baffle cutout and bolt them in with the bolts to 'get them home' from the drivers side, remove bolts place driver and bolt up.

i think you were thinking the wrong way around.
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2007 at 5:00pm
I've just worked out what the problem is and I'm very sorry for the confusion.

I told you that I'd lent my PD1850 drivers to a friend with looney bins as a temporary fix and that they'd fitted in the holes drilled for thre void driver with no problems. I deduced that the void driver has the same mounting arrangement. What I didn't know is that my friend had used the 8 concealed bolt holes on my PD1850's and not the 6 standard holes that I used in my cabinets.

It is worth checking whether the V18-1000 has 6 concealed bolt holes that allow it to be mounted in a cab designed for the PD1850. If it has them they will be visible from the back of the driver and you will have to puncture the gasket on the front to use them.

I'm very sorry for the confusion, I hope you can sort it out easily. If there's any way that I can help please let me know.
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2007 at 7:29pm
The Void bolt pattern is the same as the PD concealed bolt pattern.

This means that you can fit a PD into a bin originally made for a Void, but not necessarily the other way round as most people will drill holes for the 6 hole pattern on the PD rather than the 8 concealed holes.

I've had to put fanes into bins originally drilled for PD before - I just redrilled the driver...  Clamp the two chassis together, drill through the PD and through the other chassis...  Easier than messing around with the baffle...  The chassis is only aluminium, dead easy to drill...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
antiG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2007 at 11:27pm
hi thanks for the help, i think im a lot closer to getting sorted

got this handy tool from b+q for £30

plus i figured out my problem with t nuts is that ive been drilling out the holes to the size of the bolt and wondering why the t nut isnt digging in properly... doh!

anyway tom from white elephant is on the case, what a diamond for helping us out
Clap
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 8:02am
good luck man, sounds like a right pickle!
WhiteElephantSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteElephantSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 4:36pm

Sorted! What a proper hassle though, working through that little access panel is a grief at best. Would be much easier to re-drill the chassis but the old pd bolt spacing’s are further apart than the v1000s and would be right on the edge of the chassis.

Thanks for the Stella and I better hear them getting well and truly spanked tonight, 

Tom

Powie4321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powie4321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 2:00pm
how did u sort this problem m8? any help wud be appreciated, just got sum an hav got the same problem
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 6:59am
Why not use 4 clamps to hold speaker in place?
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
Powie4321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powie4321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:51am
yeh its an option i have thort but it is a bodge isnt it

Post Reply Post Reply