Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT121 vs MT130

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dOpeShack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MT121 vs MT130
    Posted: 04 November 2010 at 8:43am
What do you guy think?

The designer of the MT130 told me it had a flatter response, a slighty higher sensibilty and a higher cutoff frequency (1,2khz instead of 900hz)

Edited by dOpeShack - 08 November 2010 at 8:28am
King HiFi - Heavyweight Dancehall System
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 9:39am
MT130 varient I built gave the perception of REALLY long throw. Almost too long, I had to really mess with delays. Very, very loud at a distance, had me worried up close a few times. I came out from behind system to see if they were working properly.
 Staips SMT seems to be the compromise in this respect.
It just is.
silworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:05pm
Yes dOpe Shack it seems we're in the same frequency, since yesterday I started considering this build instead of MT121, because it's easier and quicker to build, so I'm also interested in feedback from people who've used it.

@Builder: I don't understand how "throw" has anything to do with adjusting delays, if it throws further I guess the only adjustment would be on volume but please explain...
How is the sound of the cab at short distance? Is it good for smaller venues?

dOpeShack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dOpeShack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:08pm
yes thats funny silworm Smile

Are you planning on using the PD121? 

PS: http://hornplans.free.fr is the forum of the guy who designed the MT130. It is in french but there is a english section if you want to have a try. The guy is quite active on the forum and is keen on answering any question...
bless

Edited by dOpeShack - 04 November 2010 at 3:14pm
silworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 4:10pm
thanks dope schack, I'd checked the site but had never noticed the forum... I can speak some french and see that marc gives some good info about the mt130 in there.

If I end up building the mt121 I'll go for the PD123ER if I choose this one I'll go with PD121. Also, you might want to get in touch with Paulie Paul from here, he can supply all PD at very good prices.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 5:37pm
I know what you mean, but the only way I could get it balanced was messing with the delays. There was a Rhino, then ES18 underneath.
Absolutly not a small indoor cab, very weird at short distance with Kappa pro, very clear many yards away. I should add, mine had a bigger rear chamber to get Kappa in, also they were square, so slightly different.
As with a lot of older horn loaded mids I've come accross, being up close sort of makes you think, "Are these on"> Very smooth, not at all bright, not at all suited to sub 200 capacity indoors IMHO.
Pains me but MT121 reviews I've heard mean these are very different sounding cabs. MT121 worth the effort I recon.
It just is.
SebP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 8:10pm
I have a pair of MT-130, and nothing wrong with these. I love their sound. They are horn long throw yes, and they are strong in this way. If you you do small venues you can make simple reflex boxes like X12.

One point: I don't think the Kappa can be used in the MT-130. It has a low BL and low BL isn't good for horn. So wrong driver = wrong performance ! Test it with the PD121, and I think it will be another thing.
dOpeShack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dOpeShack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 8:29am
Thanks for feedback guys!

Originally posted by silworm silworm wrote:

If I end up building the mt121 I'll go for the PD123ER 

I don't think you can finf these anymore can you?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by SebP SebP wrote:

I have a pair of MT-130, and nothing wrong with these. I love their sound. They are horn long throw yes, and they are strong in this way. If you you do small venues you can make simple reflex boxes like X12.

One point: I don't think the Kappa can be used in the MT-130. It has a low BL and low BL isn't good for horn. So wrong driver = wrong performance ! Test it with the PD121, and I think it will be another thing.
Ta for that. I was wondering if the Kappa was to blameThumbs Up
It just is.
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 12:44pm
Has anyone made an MT130 with double 12 and 2" I'm planning on 2-12" speakers with a 2" over top of the 12's I was wondering if by adding another 12 would this cause any problems and also most importantly, would I need to make two completely independent horns for the 12"s or could they be combined sharing the horn mouth area without a divider in between Thanks in advance for any input
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
djhitek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhitek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 7:15pm
Hi CCAV, I plan to build these 2 X 12" horn two individual horn in one with a divider slightly shorter middle lip. I read on hear the SMT has phase problems without a divider in between the 2 horns. I also have 30X40 1" f/g horns I had custom built for me by Tracy from DDS(2004) horns here in the States. So if you ever seen a Funktion Res 9 that is how I plan on building mine with 15mm BB also thinking of using the 18Sound 12ND610. I plan to use it to 800 Hz with a couple of 6"horns with phase plug to 3.5kHz. For medium to long throw applications any comments or help is greatly appreciated thanks everyone!Wink
bass how low can you GoOOO!
djhitek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhitek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 11:43am
Was thinking of using also B&C 12PE32 or the new 12CL64????? 
bass how low can you GoOOO!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>