Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New horn
    Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:00am
I know you like looking at pictures, so here is one of a horn I am working on which came off the mould today. It is for a 2" exit drive unit and I'm hoping for a 60 x 40ish dispersion.

It is 32cm wide by 23cm high which was chosen as a direct fit in to a cabinet I already use. It is also similar to a few horns out there from other manufacturers.

I just need some reasonable weather to do some measurements now.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 1:38am
Very nice Steve. My favourite colour too.

Can we have a profile picture?
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:42pm
Yeh, I'll put one up when I get the chance, plus some on and off axis response curves.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:48pm
Nice, is the first section conical, then the second section a bit more curved?  Is it a kinda 2 stage constant directivity with the second section smoothed to the mouth termination?
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:51pm
A+    How did you make the plug??  VECTORDJ
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:08pm
Here is a side view

The apparent change in flare rate is an illusion caused by the light. There is a gradual curve as the round throat changes to the oval mouth.

The plug is hand made. I stack disks and use filler. Sanding and several templates then get me to the required shape. CNC or a 3D printer would be quicker and more accurate, but at this stage I don’t know if the design is viable and I have more time than cash.

Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:01pm
Makes me thing of a good old JBL horn, as used on $35k Paragons or 2395 lenses. Just shorter.  Nice work BTW.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:47pm
I hadn't actually considered that, but you're right. I used to use some of the RCF horn/lens assemblies and they had an elliptical mouth. They sounded nice without the lens too.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 10:57pm
Hi, Does the slight curve cause beaming at the top end???  I looked into 3d printing and found it very $. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.   VECTORDJ
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:28pm
Looks a lot like the 18Sound which I am a big fan of.  I think you might be onto a winner!
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 12:12am
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

Hi, Does the slight curve cause beaming at the top end???  I looked into 3d printing and found it very $. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.   VECTORDJ

I'll let you know when I measure them. With a 2" throat the horn won't have much control above 8KHz.

I did these as a replacement to us in some cabs I already have which use a design similar to the BMS 2230. It seems to be a generic design as I've seen essentially the same thing done by a number of manufacturers. That obviously set the size of the mouth which is 32cm by 23cm.

If everything works to plan I'm looking at about 60 by 40 above 2KHz and a graceful widening (loss of control) as frequency drops down through the crossover frequency which is presently set at 1100Hz
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 2:37pm
I managed to do a quick measurement this morning.

This was the set up:

The driver is a P.audio BM 750

First a freq response on axis with no eq:

These off axis plots were done with a 1.2KHz hp filter. I didn't measure the angles and just rotated the cab around on the stand.

The yellow plot is about where I was expecting the reasonable limit to be and the white plot is way outside  the coverage angle I'm aiming for.

I just need some warm weather now to start experimenting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>