Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old school Martin audio fans...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by KWB75 KWB75 wrote:

To celebrate Martin audio's 50th year - i thought i'd build myself a mini Martin audio modular stack!

The whole thing is just 10 inches wide x 15 inches high, pair of boots for scale.

215MK3 bass section is a single 5 inch subwoofer (£5 ripped from a Logitech sub!) + 8 inch passive radiator on the back of the cab. Built from 12mm MDF, then 6mm ply outer.

MH212 is 2 x 2.5 inch full range drivers (Also £5 from a Canton sound base!), the top is just for show. 

Powered off of a TPA3116 2.1 amplifier.

3 is the magic number on the mk3. 
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 9:58pm
Which Harrison amps would they have used? Thanks

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Haha - and maybe some old Harrison amps to drive the thing.   Smile

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

Which Harrison amps would they have used? Thanks

Haha - and maybe some old Harrison amps to drive the thing.   Smile

Well - I say Harrison, but you equally could have had other classic old amps, Crown, BGW, C-Audio, Citronic - or of course, Martin's own brand amps as well.  Smile

I just mentioned the Harrisons because I have fond memories of lugging their 5kW and 10kW monsters around, like 30 years ago...  LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 2:45pm
I used a lot of Harrison amps back in the late 80s and 90s. The biggest one I ever came across was the the Xi2000. Would love to find some info on 5k and 10k ones.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 3:30pm

... classic old amps, Crown, BGW, C-Audio, Citronic - or of course, Martin's own brand amps as well. 

You could add RSD and HH to the list, but Martin didn't have any amplifiers branded with their name in those days (1980s).

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

I used a lot of Harrison amps back in the late 80s and 90s. The biggest one I ever came across was the the Xi2000. Would love to find some info on 5k and 10k ones.

Yes - not much info around on those. They were rare. I think that the 10kW was similar to the Crest 10001 in that it worked down to 1 or 2 ohm loads.

And IIRC, the 5kW was 2 x 2kW amps in bridge, ie 4 x amp boards bridged, 2 and 2. That didn't work below 4ohm, but was also a beast. Maybe 40/45kg. And dozens of MOSFETs. 

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

... classic old amps, Crown, BGW, C-Audio, Citronic - or of course, Martin's own brand amps as well. 

You could add RSD and HH to the list, but Martin didn't have any amplifiers branded with their name in those days (1980s).

Ok, yes, true. And Mr. Hill with his very unique designs.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2021 at 11:43am

Yes - not much info around on those. They were rare. I think that the 10kW was similar to the Crest 10001 in that it worked down to 1 or 2 ohm loads.

And IIRC, the 5kW was 2 x 2kW amps in bridge, ie 4 x amp boards bridged, 2 and 2. That didn't work below 4ohm, but was also a beast. Maybe 40/45kg. And dozens of MOSFETs. 

I remember now that Harrison had a K Series that iirc comprised of the K2000, K3000, K4000 and the K5000. These were heavy amps with the K4000 being 3u. Those numbers did not seem to be indicative of the power ratings though with the K3000 (the one that I'm most familiar with) only being 650w RMS per channel at 4 ohms.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2021 at 12:12pm

I remember now that Harrison had a K Series that iirc comprised of the K2000, K3000, K4000 and the K5000. These were heavy amps with the K4000 being 3u. Those numbers did not seem to be indicative of the power ratings though with the K3000 (the one that I'm most familiar with) only being 650w RMS per channel at 4 ohms.

Ok - finally managed to find some info - and photos.

They were the Compu-tek Series:-

http://audiorelic.blogspot.com/2014/11/etapas-de-potencia-harrison.html

Monsters!  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2021 at 12:24pm
Wow! Never even heard of these before. They do look monstrous.
Pinheiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinheiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2021 at 1:11pm
hi all

nº off metric ton´s on the 10000 model LOL?

p.s. nice models on the classic Martin Thumbs Up 5 star job
yours Vitor
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2021 at 2:39pm

Wow! Never even heard of these before. They do look monstrous.

A couple of PA companies I worked for/with down here used these - to drive ASS systems. Both brands imported by the same guy.

They sounded great - but, as noted in the article I linked to, were not too reliable. Which meant carrying spares, which added to costs, which meant people soon moved on to other alternatives. You can't be crossing your fingers that the amps last the night. Or have to swap amps mid gig. That tends to lose you clients.   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>