Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Orbit" coax midrange horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 8:19pm
James, with regard to your spatter finish, what is the extent of your equipment? Do you have a pressure pot setup?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 8:20pm
15" version played well from 110Hz-350Hz ish with kappa 15.  it could run higher without honking or any obvious nastys but output rolled off.  Liked being on the floor though, much less extension when it was high up, i didnt make a 2nd to see how it performed in pairs.  ill drag it out and do some measurements when i measure the others. 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 8:24pm
Yep pressure pot for the paint and restricting the air flow on the gun to get splatter,  im thinking it would be better to regulate again at the gun so ive just bought another mini regulator, it was a very fine adjustment between spray and gushing paint out, i think it will be better to run the tap fully open and regulate it.      
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 8:28pm
Ok, one thing is still not clear, do you have a proper spatter gun?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2014 at 8:41pm
Nope just a 2mm nozzle suction feed gun fed from the pressure pot, i do have a couple of under seal guns that ive got reasonable spatter with before though.  I think i  need to find the sweet spot with the air pressure and the paint pressure and keep it consistent, i seemed to have it then loose it, then i put too much on, then put more on the rest of the horn to even it out, takes practice to get it really neat i think.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 8:07pm
If you do continuous painting a proper spatter gun is a must. It wouldn't be hit or miss, what you get is a controlled spatter from very fine to very course and it's consistent. With a proper gun you get all the pressure you need for the feed without the air. Iwata is a good one to look at.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 11:38pm
Cheers Tony i will have a look, just found an Iwata spatter cap but i couldnt find a spcific spatter gun, ill keep looking.  I had another go today on another cab with the regulator before the gun and it helps, its still difficult to get the air flow precice as its so little air, i also get a bit more of a splurt when i first touch the trigger...

Been testing the horn and its sounding very nice, im using a different compression driver now, crossover is sorted, 3.6KHz 18dB/oct high pass with polaraty inverted gets the 2 drivers time aligned nicely, phase responce is very smooth though the crossover, the mid rolls off steeply at 4KHz so theres not much overlap, i tryed it on an eminence 3.5KHz 18dB high pass and it was very close to the active filter, about the same responce as an active 3.8KHz high pass.  It runs down to 400Hz fine and rolls off, quite happy so far.  Ill post some pics and plots tomorrow. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 12:42am
I should also say apart from the normal Devilbis top loading and Gravity Guns and Iwata, I also have Sata, also another top gun worth looking at. The best guns give you the best results. There is no need to struggle with finish.
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 5:05pm
Oh Man that's beautiful can wait to build some if you let us hear what you're hearing? Thanks God Bless You!Shocked
BASS, how low can you go!
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 6:39pm
Any progress with this build mate?
WWW.T8Audio.Com
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 8:44pm
Not really im affraid, i should have passive crossover components in a few days,   i finnished a ported version of the low mid that was for a 12v system,  i didnt like the sound of the ports so closed them and it sounded much better,  so that ended up similar to the celestion design but with a larger rear chamber, it ran lower than i expected but i didnt get a chance to take any outdoor measurements as it was windy yesterday and its gone to its new owner today, so ill have to build another. 
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

If you do continuous painting a proper spatter gun is a must. It wouldn't be hit or miss, what you get is a controlled spatter from very fine to very course and it's consistent. With a proper gun you get all the pressure you need for the feed without the air. Iwata is a good one to look at.

Sorry to butt in but are you saying that you can buy specific guns to achive splatter coats or just a better quality gun that will make it easier with the fine adjustment between air flow and paint?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>