Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher Horn build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher Horn build
    Posted: 20 September 2004 at 1:37pm

Hello guys,

Check the following design:

http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?show=tekening&const ructieID=21&sel_lang=nl

You can see pictures of the prototype here:

http://www.tweakers.net/gallery/112204/fotoalbum/?MapID=3585

We played a test cd with some strong bass, one time the whole cabinet moved more than an inch back due to the pressure generated at te front! The Punisher was louder that the BR-118 loaded with 18Sound 18LW-1400. One Punisher could keep up with the two EV tops (Punisher playing 45-80Hz) We used a RAM BUX3.4 on the sub delivering a full 1700W (clip leds on sometimes) at the 12 inch Ciare driver (4 ohm variant) The Ciare did seem to like some more... I take your advise serious Rog, we drive them loud until we smell the coils burning (too bad this didn't happen ;-)

Best regards,

Walt

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 2:57pm

Can you cross it over at more than 80hz?

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 3:35pm

Yes, this is possible they run up to 150Hz or even higher! We found them best sounding crossing at 80 or 100Hz. They sound very deep for a single compact hornsub they are only 285 litres!

Best regards,

Walt

Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 6:17pm

Hi,

Pro Audio Parts sells all Ciare drivers including the 12.00SW used in the Punisher Horn.

Rog.

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 6:43pm

An inportant EAW designer gave this comment on the Punisher horn (see EAW forum):

The Ciare part is quite good for a horn load - high Bl and strong cone. Would benefit from a triple-roll type surround found on other Ciare designs thouigh.
The design we use is quite similar, with a few additional refinements to further optimize perfromance in the horn.
Your design appears to be quite good, although it would benfit from a longer path length. The LF limit is controlled by the path length. Required ;length depends a bit on what you are trying to accomplish - extended subs need a long length but punchy subs work best with a shorter tlength.
We use a proprietary in-house modelling program for horn design work. I cannpt comment on the programs you use.

--------------------
EVP Strategic Product
Development
EAW

Best regards,

Walt

PoteirosCorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoteirosCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 8:51pm

Newbie here.      Hey Contour, do you know an alternative driver (on DAS, BEYMA or EMINENCE, it´s not for the price, it´s just I´m from Mexico and this are the easiest to get here)  for that punisher 

you´re the first one I know how build this, I thought it still was a prototype

Thanks for the input

----------------------
Paul Valenzuela

davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 11:42pm
Looks a hell of a lot like a single driver version of a LAB horn. Why don't you try an Eminence LAB12 in there? seems like an obvious answer. I guess the Ciare driver is stronger tho?
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2004 at 1:56am
or some nice ciare driver in a LAB?
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2004 at 11:15pm

The LAB sub won't take speakers with higher BL than the LAB12. In fact, Tom Danley LOWERED the speced BL for the driver after some experiments (The LAB12 drivers was specifically made for that LAB sub and the specs were defined for exactly that horn....). That means the original driver had too much BL and it wasn't even next to 20...

The Ciare can be a very good horn driver, as long as the horn is 'optimized' for it. The Punisher would be I guess....

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2004 at 11:55pm
sorry, yeah i know you can't just whack any old driver in a horn and expect it to work great, was just a bit of excited speculation...
when you say 'not even next to 20' i assume you mean it was higher... interesting that the lab needs a driver of such (relatively) high compliance given the length of the horn. what factor counters this relatively looseness of suspension in the driver? is it that it only produces subbass frequencies and can afford to be a little slower?
please explain some more :)
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 8:37am
What many people forget when looking at the BL figure, is to see it in relation to Re. Motor strength is often said to be BL/sqrt(Re), which puts many 4 Ohm drivers in a different light than their 8 Ohm counterparts. Otherwise everybody would be using 16 Ohm drivers.
nightline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by PoteirosCorp PoteirosCorp wrote:

Newbie here.      Hey Contour, do you know an alternative driver (on DAS, BEYMA or EMINENCE, it´s not for the price, it´s just I´m from Mexico and this are the easiest to get here)  for that punisher 

you´re the first one I know how build this, I thought it still was a prototype

Thanks for the input

----------------------
Paul Valenzuela

Have a look at the Beyma 12 Xmax speaker, this one maybe usefull.

Kind regards

Jack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>