Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher Horn build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Søren Dyhr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:23pm
I hold no degree in science, but have noticed that the Ciare unit exists in
a twin coil version as well. Could the two be paralleled with a resulting
impedance of 2 ohm instead of the 8 ohm when coubled in series? It
could be neat, if it works - in a single bin setup.... The benefit I could see
was better utilization of amp power.

--sd
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2004 at 8:56pm
Horns are generally meant to be used in stacks. If you use smaller stacks than recommended, it is usually a wise idea to also high-pass them 1/3 an octave or so above fc to prevent the driver from bottoming out too easily. IIRC the Ciare driver's Xdamage isn't too much beyond it's x-max, so this might be a dangerous game to play if you intend to give them a hiding. This is also the reason why a couple of LAB drivers have been known to tear before emminence re-inforced the driver's surrounds. Horn's don't distort nearly as much as their direct radiating counterparts so the limit can come quite unexpectedly quickly.

Martin
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 8:50am

Hi martin- I didnt notice the Xmech figure on this driver. Isnt the Xmech oneway of the lab12 22mm? this is about 2x the xmax,surely thats plenty!

But a leaky sealedbox,33hz sine,and 2kw wont help matters

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 9:04am

Yeah

I was referring to the Ciare driver. The LAB in the punisher might be an alternative. This looks like a very, very nice and compact horn, but I'd want a stack of 4 to go down to 40Hz and have a flare rate that's sufficiently low enough to allow this thing to go even lower in a stack of 8, so it's S-fold for me.

Martin

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 3:59pm
Hi Martin - how much of 40Hz 2pi  do your predict will the dubsuction horn wil get as single and in side-by-side pair?

wish could get Contour online - think in ways he preferred old Karlson with 18" Craaft (or 15" Beyma) to B36 or maybe SL36 CV horn  - but seems like did good compromise overall on Punisher  - wonder how Ciare 12SW holds up? - run ~$165US

Best,
Freddy
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 4:46pm

Hello Freddy,

I don't answer all the time but I try to read al the topics over here! We had the small CV bin (62x62x92cm) loaded with RCF L18P300 but this was not as good as the K15 loaded with AA-Craaft. Then we build the larger CV bin using 22mm MDF and this sounded a lot better than the smaller version with thin wood.

I think a Punisher can cope with a CV bin (although the CV bin is much bigger: 92 x 92 x 62cm vs 82 x 70 x 50cm) A Punisher will throw the sound as a Karlson will not...

Best regards,

Walt

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 8:34pm
My sims were lost on a flash disk (spring music festival, lotsa alcohol) but what I recall is that that a single was alright to 45 and then a sharp drop-off. Quater space showed useable response to 40 and a stack of 4 went a touch under 40. If I were to use it for home use I'd use a larger rear chamber and an even smaller mouth though. Mike has right of ownership to the honey I shrunk the horn device though and has come up with soem very  interresting configurations in the past ;-)

Martin
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 9:08pm
Hello Contour -

maybe I 'should' save up for the Ciare :^)

do you think the Karlson had about same throw as a bandpass box? - I have Sigma 18 in a K15 variant - four might do a small club - it only weighs about 25-30kg.

CV EL36 are inexpensive in US - but don't know quality/flex of their plywood - original B36 had - IIRC,  a path so short that I could touch the 18" cone  - so cone fired at back of cabinet rather than at bottom .
Best Wishes,
Freddy

Hello Martin/Timber_MG  - 45 would be plenty strong

for home use, like basshorn to rattle to 500  - be  thrilled with 50-55Hz flat in-room bottom  - maybe a University Classic?

Best,
Freddy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123