Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punishers blew away our old 18" reflexs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 11:55am
12"
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 11:56am
Yes it is a 12 inch Ciare 12.00SW driver used in the Punisher horn.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 12:11pm

Hello,

That Punisher looks really good!

Nice to hear they did well compared to the 18" reflex. Remember the more Punishers you add the more impressive they become. Compared with a stack of two a single Punisher really is less effective. Also that 800W is a bit shy, the Punisher likes about 1500W of clean signal. In thay case it really starts to move the air.

Keep up the good work, your system with 8 Punishers should offer some serious bass.

Best regards,

Walt

james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

what size driver do these punisher horns take?

ian, dude, where have you been!!

punishers are this season's 'must have' bass horn. ludicrous performance
from a winkum ickle box, they have been described as 1850 killers... if i
din't need to find homes for 16 15" drivers then i'm sure the punisher (with
it's £100 driver, oh yes) would be well up the list, closely followed by a pair
of x-tros!

james.
mardy hippy.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 2:26pm
 will a 15" not fit into it james?..is there simply not the space to accommodate a 15"?
Be seeing you.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 4:30pm

Hello,

Using a 15" driver in the Punisher would not give good results. The compression ratio would be too large. This would mean some serious forces acting on the cone.

Also the horn is designed around the Ciare 12.00SW and based on that T/S parameters. Using a 15" would mean you would have to redesign the whole box and it will not be a Punisher anymore. I have not seen many 15" horn designs with a long horn, it seems most long basshorns either use 12" or 18" drivers. The 15" is very popular in short (midbass) horns. But of course with the correct T/S parameters a longer horn design should well be possible.

As for the 12" Ciare driver, too bad in some countries they are hard to get or expensive. Here in the netherlands they are cheaper than most 18" drivers while offering about the same magnet/voicecoil size. That means lot of power to drive the small strong cone for maximum output.

Best regards,

Walt

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:06pm
in the countries where ciare 12.00SW is to expennsive or not available, aparently you could use the P-udio SD-12

4 units will be built in february or March by me (that's when the drivers arrive), and loaded with the SD

Plots look good, even better than the ciare in some places, I hope the end results will be similar

Anyway I would NOT encurage anyone to try using a SD-12 in the punisher until I will make mine ant test them properly.

I something goes horribly wrong, at least I will be the only one to lose

Ex Nexus_3
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:27pm

Hello,

I think you have to A/B your Punisher loaded with P-Audio against one loaded with the Ciare. My concerns with the P-Audio are its small lineair x-max which mean the BL factor will drop when the coil leaves the airgap when driven hard. But I agree the P-Audio T/S look good. Too bad with P-audio you never know what specs will be on the actual box in which the drivers arrive. These specs always seem to differ from what can be found on the P-audio website...

Best regards,

Walt

MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:38pm

I've often thought about designing a horn similar to the Punisher, based around the Ciare 15.00 SW.

Walt, do you think this is an option?

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 1:42am
Contrary to common believes, a bigger driver will not necesary meam more spl or lower extension in a horn

Big driver = shorter horn, or bigger enclosure, so You see , there's no free lunch 

Ex Nexus_3
MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 5:03am

I did mean in a bigger enclosure, would be nice if it could go a bit lower than the Punisher.

On a different note, I've found that Ciare do an in car equivalent of the 12.00 SW with two 2ohm voice coils, I'm toying with the idea of building a system into a car with two reworked Punishers in the boot, reckon it could do some serious SPL. I'm thinking about using to rear screen as one side for the final section/mouth of the horn.

Any thoughts?

IAIN RENDLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAIN RENDLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2005 at 5:35am

sounds like a plan. would have a very large mouth

btw

whats the sensitivity of the punisher?

-=vortex sound systems=-
www.vortexsound.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>