Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSS V RC1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardiffdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QSS V RC1
    Posted: 15 April 2023 at 4:13pm
Event held yesterday in Bristol.. any more info on what happened.

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 1:30pm
No one nothing ? jeez

KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 1:56pm
I wasn’t there but it sounds like it went exactly as expected…

RC1 - brutal at all frequencies.
QSS - much more balanced, better selection.

Horses for courses, there’s clearly a large following of RC1 that enjoy that savage bass - I’ve got a lot of respect for what Jon has created, it’s very effective for what he does.

Personally, I prefer the QSS approach - proper sub, and just a more pleasurable listening experience.

Everyone assumes this was going to be a full-on bass war, which is not really how it played out.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 4:23pm
I heard Dubstep was on music list, which immediately doused my interest.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
cardiffdon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardiffdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 6:04pm
Ermm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 8:47pm
So QSS subs are just the 18 sound manifold plan ? And don't tell me different bracing or something similarly non important is a "modification" .
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 9:34pm
Thought there would be a lot more hype and chat about this event but I don't see much about it.

Any reviews and comments I've seen have been very nice and everybody is calling the event a draw with both systems coming out on top Ermm

Thought it was going to be an all out sound system clash 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

Thought there would be a lot more hype and chat about this event but I don't see much about it.

Any reviews and comments I've seen have been very nice and everybody is calling the event a draw with both systems coming out on top Ermm

Thought it was going to be an all out sound system clash 

Think its only Reggae guys, who know what a real sound clash is.

Sound clash not about who can make the most noise, and zero entertainment.

It's about the music selection, system heavy and clean, mic man, which crew had best vibes, most entertaining.

Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 1:47am
Fatha Chalky did a nice breakdown of the night...

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 1:55pm
UPDATE:

Just been told by very knowledgeable engineer who was at the gig, when Qualitex first started pre gig warm up, ceiling above the bar, started shaking and was in danger of collapse, and venue owner instructed both sounds to unplug 2x subs.

Apparently Qualitex did comply, and RC1 did not.

Which means RC1 system was running the night with a pair of subs more than Qualitex, even though the feedback was, Qualitex sub, was rounder and deeper.

To be honest, many of us already expected this, after hearing RC1 previously, so I would expect any more discussion of sub in this topic, to be of little consequence.

What I think would have been of more interest, is if both systems were playing Roots Reggae and Dub only, which would further identify, which system was superior, between 30hz-18khz, if they were both playing, the same number of subs, that is. LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 18 April 2023 at 1:56pm
cardiffdon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardiffdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 5:43pm
thank you  lev..
heineken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heineken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 6:10pm
My thoughts on the night, for anyone that cares;

Mid tops- RC1's sound amazing, absolutely loved them, like a massive hifi. QSS' were fine and definitely more 'soundsystem' style (unbalanced?) but clear enough and not harsh but... RC1s were just lush.

Bass- Much preferred QSS. I was surprised and a bit disappointed by RC1 with how low they didn't play and how distorted it sounded. Unless I was consistently unlucky with where I was standing, there were notes completely missing off the low end. My guess is John raised his high pass in order to win on SPL, but shit loads of distorted 60Hz+ was not it imo. I like a rough bass so I can see the appeal and see why people rate their bass (if that's how they normally sound?) but I want to hear the root notes as well as the 2nd harmonic. QSS was felt in the stomach, RC1 was felt in the nose and throat.

Music- If you like DnB, then RC1 will have won for you, basically. From what I could see, RC1 had the crowd until 12/1am or so when Footsie n others came on for QSS, that seemed like a turning point and the crowd were more on the side of QSS following that.

Bonus thoughts- It was nice to hear different styles of music played on both sounds as dub/roots doesn't always have the best production imo. It was good hear the systems tested away from what they we're designed for.

For the last hour or so (maybe longer? Didn't check) John was stood arms crossed and looking pretty miserable tbh, whereas Kutty was dancing and joking around.

RC1's selecta/mic man gave the win to QSS, think that says a lot.

Seem to remember the Sinai vs RC1 thread had a decent amount of people singing RC1's praises, there's none of that now.

Overall QSS won for me but it wasn't a slaughter, but it wasn't even that sort of a night anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>