Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REW discrepancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REW discrepancy
    Posted: 15 November 2011 at 12:38am
Hi all, i've been messing around with room eq wizard and a berry ecm on an old hifi speaker. i'm getting considerably different hf response between using 2 sweeps and 8 sweeps for measurement . |Blue icicle mic stage and generic usb card which i have calibrated using rew. Please see images below. any ideas why? (2 sweeps has better response).

Edited by soundchippy - 15 November 2011 at 1:02am
soundchippy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 1:12am
swapped for a different cab. 2/8 sweeps (new cab black(2) and purple(8))

Edited by soundchippy - 15 November 2011 at 1:13am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 1:16am
1st cab - mordaunt short festival 2, 2nd cab b&w dm601 s1

mic and cab position same each measurement

Edited by soundchippy - 15 November 2011 at 1:17am
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 8:26am
Mr. S Chippy, I have been using REW for quite a while now, dabbling with it for a few years but now getting quite deep and dirty and can honestly say that I always get repeatable results.

Will have a play later with exactly the number of sweeps that you used.

Tony

p.s.What version are you using?

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 15 November 2011 at 8:26am
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 5:50pm
Plots were made using REW V5.0
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 7:04pm

If I remember correctly you have to sign up to their own forum to download the software. It might be worth asking there.

Now with the disclaimer that I don't use REW that much and my copy is not likely to be up to date....

Multiple sweeps use synchronous averaging, so if anything causes an interruption or break in the generated or captured signals the averaging will fail. If your soundcard supports ASIO drivers it is worth trying them (assuming you are not already). A mismatch in the sample rate settings can also cause problems.

Of course if your Berry mic is un-calibrated you might as well guess what the response is anyway. Wink

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2011 at 7:53pm
In the fullness of time I will make a calibration file for the ECM. Luckily i'm not using it for critical measurements, just playing around trying to get to grips with the program.
I dont appear to have the option of selecting ASIO drivers for my soundcard. Thanks for the post, at least now I can surmise that the 8 sweep plot is more likely incorrect.
 Post Reply Post Reply