Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

routed sides

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 2:29pm
A well built butt-jointed cab properly screwed and glued should not fall apart through vibration! However, as Mike pointed out, the more glue-able surface area the better...

I also find rebating speeds up construction and produces a more accurate build.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

....even more glue area

The bits you use to cut these mitres are really not for hand-held machines, you want a table mounted router with some serious power, also the bits aren't cheap and can't be sharpened...

I rebate folded horns using a 30mm follower and laser cut steel jig, the jig means I don't have to mark out my panels, I just axe up the sheets on a wall saw and them blast out the horn profile, assemble is a peach and it reall makes a nice job.

A cheat is to use a rail mounted festool router and CAD out you sides 1:1 and use the paper as a template, either spray mount it onto the board or make cuts through it with a stanley knife join the dots with a pencil...

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2012 at 1:17am
Both methods are valid.  The key thing whether you're using rebates or biscuits, or even just butt joints is to make sure they're tight.  Wood glue (PVA based) works best when you have the maximum surface area touching each other and cures with them held tightly together.

An accurately cut and assembled butt jointed cab is probably stronger than one with loose fitting rebates and poorly cut panels.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2012 at 3:59am
Chris's comments above probably cover the whole question.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Wrek0ne View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrek0ne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

....even more glue area

The bits you use to cut these mitres are really not for hand-held machines, you want a table mounted router with some serious power, also the bits aren't cheap and can't be sharpened...

I rebate folded horns using a 30mm follower and laser cut steel jig, the jig means I don't have to mark out my panels, I just axe up the sheets on a wall saw and them blast out the horn profile, assemble is a peach and it reall makes a nice job.

A cheat is to use a rail mounted festool router and CAD out you sides 1:1 and use the paper as a template, either spray mount it onto the board or make cuts through it with a stanley knife join the dots with a pencil...

Good job my house mate has a Festool 1400 router then!! Big smile
Poll this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12