Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show off your home cinema/hifi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 12:04am
<facepalm>
Mykey Wattco
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by KidCreole KidCreole wrote:

<facepalm>

Well I suppose for once we should be grateful that you spared us the knowledge that you would have done it better.
sureal25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 3:01pm
I was always curious as to why P.A companies don't embrace new/newish that is being used in the most recent studio monitor design/tech. Such as ribbon tweeters etc. Maybe it is and I have missed the boat.

I have always loved the sound of the Adams and would love to hear a p.a version.

Top studio monitor r&d always seek the best sound and curious as to what the p.a market/companies thinks about/follow this...

lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by sureal25 sureal25 wrote:

I was always curious as to why P.A companies don't embrace new/newish that is being used in the most recent studio monitor design/tech. Such as ribbon tweeters etc. Maybe it is and I have missed the boat.

I have always loved the sound of the Adams and would love to hear a p.a version.

Top studio monitor r&d always seek the best sound and curious as to what the p.a market/companies thinks about/follow this...

Such things do exist.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=32
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 3:26pm
i believe some of the small Opus stuff has ribbons, and sounds exceedingly lovely hence it is used by many highend theaters!!!.....

edit: had a look on their website, but its a piece'a'crap and the navigation system doesn't work.... gave up.

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 14 January 2015 at 3:31pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
sureal25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2015 at 3:58pm
I would love to hear them, both the swans and the opus!!

Has anyone had the chance to hear any of Focals stuff like the utopia with their berrylium tweeter and the electro magnet woofer?

Any P.A companies using that tech?

Edited by sureal25 - 14 January 2015 at 4:05pm

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:33pm
@Sureal25:  plenty of PA manufacturers using ribbon tweeters nowadays....

Stage Accompany from Holland done it for decades....

IIRC Alcons also uses ribbon technology.... use google you will see

EDIT: Mundorf AMT 

Edited by bob4 - 12 February 2015 at 2:28pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 2:58pm
On topic: my "new" set of Gradient 1.0  driven with Sansui  RZ 3500 

3-way design with 8" reflex sub section, 12" dipole mids, mini-"line array" with 2" tweeters

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by sureal25 sureal25 wrote:

ATC have installed some special versions of their studio monitors as high quality sound reinforcement systems. But these are in properly designed concert halls for performances with acoustic instruments, where the amplification has to be as unobtrusive as possible.

PA companies usually have to work in rooms with unsuitable acoustics, where speaker placement is dictated by building, time, and cost constraints. In that situation, the necessary compromises are more in favour of efficiency, ergonomics, speed of rigging, crew costs, etc. Plus of course the extremely low return-on-investment that they get from their speaker systems compared with, say, video kit.

The general PA market doesn't have the money to support real scientific research and innovation. That's why we're all still using boxes made of wood and cones made of cardboard...

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

The general PA market doesn't have the money to support real scientific research and innovation. That's why we're all still using boxes made of wood and cones made of cardboard...

Except they have done so for at least 70 years? LOL

Your statement is a little bit weird considering that you are comparing the studio monitor market to the PA market. I would have thought that the monetary market volume of PA speaker rentals is substantially higher.  

I googled a few hours ago due to this thread, and refreshed my memory concerning Mundorf GmbH.... you might be surprised by the amount of innovation...... Embarrassed

Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 6:49pm
Getting friendly with the lovely folk at ATC certainly has its perks Wink New toys for the living room. Out with the old missions and in with some SCM20SL towers Big smile

Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

i believe some of the small Opus stuff has ribbons, and sounds exceedingly lovely hence it is used by many highend theaters!!!.....

edit: had a look on their website, but its a piece'a'crap and the navigation system doesn't work.... gave up.

http://www.stageaccompany.com/products/performer/performer.html

I think it can't get any better than that, Alcons audio also have a PA ribbon tweeter technology.
Stage Accompany also has a 64bit 96Khz DSP amp, bit pricey though. They are based in Netherland.

Edited by Darkstar - 25 June 2015 at 8:49pm
Bass =/= Enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>