Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signatures and company advertising

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signatures and company advertising
    Posted: 16 January 2009 at 7:26pm
We've decided to put up a policy on the use of signatures for advertising on the forum.  This is in response to the fact we think there has been some slow creep of standards in the time since Rog departed, and we'd like to try and bring things back on track if possible.

The following should be fair for all:

Members may now only put the name of their company/companies in the signature bar, as a way of identifying who they are and what associations they may have.

There may be no contact details or hyperlinks, and no images relating to the companies or lines of business.  The areas provided in the profile can be used for this sort of detail if required.

We're not going to get all heavy handed about this - some members visit irregularly and may not look at announcements when they do.   Regular users will probably be aware fairly quickly, (especially if this decision causes much debate!) so we'd expect changes where appropriate reasonably quickly.

I'm going to see if I can drop a blanket PM to all members about this, so that members will get a notification when they next visit.

Hopefully this shouldn't upset too many people as its entirely in keeping with what this forum was always intended to be about.

Don't forget we do have the resources section for DIY related services.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
robertnisbet View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertnisbet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 7:45pm
I would query this.  I think its important that not only can people see poster's affiliations, its also essential that they are able to get easy access to the poster's company's website to see how qualified they are to make whatever statement/judgement/opinion they are spouting.  I know the answer to this is that the information is in the poster's profile, but how many times does one post a for sale add only to be left with a million messages asking for the location even when it is a) in the profile and b) often on the original posting anyway.

Similarly, where does this leave user's such as myself, who are self employed sole traders, who trade under their own name?  Essentially my business is my name, but my name is already shown as my user name, so the only way I have of showing my credentials is with my web address.  Hmm, didn't really explain that very well.

Just some thoughts.
Robert Nisbet
www.robertnisbet.com
Event Production Services
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 7:59pm

How about you just remove the web address Robert,you could allways put your web address on your profile page ,im sure anyone wanting to contact you would be able to find it there?

Be seeing you.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 8:53pm
I don't think a website should be used to judge someone's credentials re: posting about speakers.  If you post good information then it speaks for itself.  I certainly don't judge anyones text based on whether or not they have a website or not - simply by what i see/hear from them over time.

This doesn't have to be difficult I don't think, just use your common sense.
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 4:34am
hmm.. problem is, the vast majority of us are providing some kind of 'commercial' music services.. wether thats pa hire, djing or building cabs..
it maybe helpful to debate the merits of a section of the forum reserved for commercial announcements of sorts; so that those smaller folks amoungst us can get word out to the community as to what were upto/can provide without offending anyone & diluting the 'diy' side of the forum.

consider it a 'yellow pages' & community billboard of 'news' from folks who want to keep those interested upto date.

naturally, some measures to stem deliberate spamming in such a section should be determined & by the very nature of such a thing.. its not going to become full of posts from EV, JBL & the other titans ..as theyve clearly got other well funded & established ways of getting word out ;)

please, give it a little thought & maybe we can stem some of the problems of late :)
ta.

Edited by nineleaves - 17 January 2009 at 6:03am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 9:20am

There is already a section,simply update your services provided?

Be seeing you.
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 1:21pm
Just to query something, not trying to stir anything. I just clicked on robertnisbet's view profile just to see how well this theory will work, to start with the Homepage hyperlink shows me in the bottom left of my firefox that the link is going to direct me to www.robertnisbet.cm which is not a valid TLD (top level domain) and I think thats supposed to be .com but an even bigger problem is when I click on the hyperlink Homepage, it actually takes me to http://agoga.com/ ....

Any reasons for the misdirection?

I've not had my morning coffee yet, but that seems like a problem if we're going to be using this method to keep people happy :) Just my 5c worth ..

//t0m
http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
robertnisbet View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertnisbet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 1:29pm
Ah, that was a typo on my behalf, now fixed. Thanks t0m
Robert Nisbet
www.robertnisbet.com
Event Production Services
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 1:31pm
Ok great :) coffee finished!
http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 7:12pm
Quote hmm.. problem is, the vast majority of us are providing some kind of 'commercial' music services.. wether thats pa hire, djing or building cabs..
it maybe helpful to debate the merits of a section of the forum reserved for commercial announcements of sorts; so that those smaller folks amoungst us can get word out to the community as to what were upto/can provide without offending anyone & diluting the 'diy' side of the forum.

I think therein lie some of the problems.

When we put up the resources section it was to allow those providing DIY related services to announce what they did, in a way that would prove useful to the forum members in their pursuit of DIY speaker perfection.  We quite clearly stated that it wasn't for advertising rig hire... everyone has one, the members here are probably the last people who want to know where they can hire a rig.  Same goes for DJ's.  It also would introduce an element of competition that is unwanted, its not as if there isn't enough competition here bubbling just under the surface.

The forum was never about commercial announcements in their own right, and I don't neccessarily feel that they have a place here.  If we were to condone that we would be flooded with them.  Admittedly we have perhaps been a bit slack on that front recently but its tricky keeping up to speed on it all - we do our best to control how much goes on, especially some of the 'more regular' posters in the for sale section but we'll never get it 100% right.

nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 7:47pm
ach weil..
will have to sit back and watch this one with curiousity i guess then..

yes it is a difficult one to manage, however gagging orders on certain topics many naturally going to lean towards is going to cause friction.. tho others kicking up dirt when they 'feel' something off sanctioned topics is going on in the general forum will cause even more greif..
thus why i feel some careful thought should go into allowing some of that to be vented out of the way of the main section in a gentlemenly fashion.

anyways, back to observing and pondering the situation.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 12:34am
I Ahree, if anyone wants to go to so,eones company website then they can find it on their profile. and I hate huge pictures in signatures; I would rather gough my eye out with my foot than read through a page on squat juice, its just ridiculously large pictures over and over
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>