Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small,Light Sub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small,Light Sub?
    Posted: 16 May 2015 at 3:54pm
Hello & Thanks -  I'm trying to design / build a light (35# or so) compact sub to add under some line array tops.  Currently, we mic just voc & sax - the goal here, is to add some drums, bass & fill out the overall sound.

Nothing earth-shaking... small cub gigs with 100 ppl.  ..retro soul, funk music - guitar, bass, drums, sax, vox.

Since I know nothing about evaluating real-world performance derived purely from spec's, I was hoping to run my concept passed the crowd & get some feedback / insight.

The sub is based around an Eminence kappalite 3012LF 4, & Eminence's own suggested enclosure size /porting - it's "medium vented cabinet".

Here is my take on it -  built from 1/2" baltic birch, the finished cabinet would weigh 23#.

I've also included the links for the spec's from Eminence for both the speaker & enclosure.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappalite_3012LF_4

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3012LF_4_cab.pdf

Thanks Again for any thoughts 
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 4:34pm
Would you not be better off with the 3015LF?.. its only an 11# driver which leaves you with 25# of timber to make the box from and get a much better bass responce and not have to over work the drivers wen you want to 'turn it up a little'.

Lovely design though....

Edited by mini-mad - 16 May 2015 at 4:37pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 5:09pm
MM -  That's a good thought...  I checked it out..

I don't know if there's a smaller enclosure size that would work with the 3015, but the Eminence recommendations are 6.467 cu. ft. for the "subwoofer".  

They do show a smaller "woofer" scheme at just under 4 cu. ft.

I'm just a woodworker, so I don't know enough about interpreting the spec's to make even an educated guess...

So, the subwoofer, with bracing etc., works out to roughly 22.5" cubed & 42# (vs. the 23# of the 3012 cab).

Still small & light in the sub world..  too bad I can't decide if the trade is worth it, unless I build them both...

I'd consider basing the concept around a different driver, but the spec's on the kappalites work well with this line of thinking...  & I can buy Eminence wholesale, so it's pretty cost effective.

..and thanks for the kind words.  

- Rob

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 5:31pm
also... the cubo15 design is a 24.5" cube. i have 4 of them with kappa LF pro's in them and without the driver a fairly easy 1man move... with a neo driver should be pretty easy to move around. iv also seen info on people slimming the width of the cab to 22.5" and it not affecting the output by more then a decibel and a half.

the cubo15 cab can out perform a 18" reflex from 40-100hz but wont play higher up with any clarity, hence them being a sub hybrid box. unlike reflex wont sound any good above say... 120hz ish.

so it also depends how high you wanna play your bass boxes.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 5:36pm
...it also works out to an 8 cubic foot box.

sorry, i kinda doubled your "small" sub

rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 5:58pm
MM - I appreciate the feedback...  if I knew exactly what I was doing, I wouldn't be out here seeking advice.

I did check out the cubo, & thought to try to go smaller & lighter..

As in most things, experience is a great teacher, so I'll probably build out one of these proposed designs & see what shakes out.  

The fabrication part is quick & easy, because I have the luxury of a shop...   worst case, I can re-use the speaker in the next cabinet.  Wouldn't be the 1st time...

Anyone out there able to interpret & compare the spec's on The kappalite 3015LF4 small vented woofer enclosure vs. the 3012LF4 medium vented cabinet?

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015LF_4_cab.pdf

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3012LF_4_cab.pdf

thanks
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:11pm
...ok keeping with the cubo theme there is ALSO a cubo12! again being the same hybrid design it will have a better output then a vent box between 40-100 and SHOULD be more what your looking for.

why not build one of your boxes AND a cubo12 and see how you feel.
i believe the cubo12 is a 18" cube. THAT should make for a nice small lightweight sub for ya!

rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:21pm
MM -  That's a good idea.. most definitely, if the cubo 12 spec's allow for use of the 3012...  build one of each, A/B 'em, & build a 2nd of the preferred enclosure.

Can you lead me to the cubo 12 plan /spec's?

- Rob
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:27pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:28pm
and works well with the 3012 to boot!!
save the image before i get shouted at for the link!

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:29pm

Edited by mini-mad - 16 May 2015 at 6:29pm
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:30pm
MM -  done..  many thanks, I will let you know how it all goes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>