Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speakon NL4FX - a step backwards?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 3:29pm

You tried silver speaker cable yet ? Very nice and a different sound all together.

Sound Thumbs%20Up
Price Thumbs%20Down
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 3:37pm
christ !

..crack out the palladium.
Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 3:42pm
LOL Not me but my dad '' Real HiFi Son ''
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 3:54pm
i couldn't exactly approve of such esoteric practices; as conclusions are hardly ever drawn to with proper theory & under proper scientific testing conditions, with double blind tests & eliminating other potential bigger variables, like cable capacitance, which can impart a greater influence.

i just feel sometimes that people are drawn to such things; as they feel such expensive solutions 'should' work better & get some strange placebo thing going on.

tho if peeps feel they need to go ahead and do some very unscientific things in the pursuit of fidelity.. fair nuffs; doesn't get my vote tho ;)

as for silver cables in the gig bag... hehe and you thought you had a problem with mic leads going missing ! ;)

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by nineleaves nineleaves wrote:

i just feel sometimes that people are drawn to such things; as they feel such expensive solutions 'should' work better & get some strange placebo thing going on.

If I put down several hundred £ for silver speaker cable then I would convince myself it sounded better too!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 4:05pm
although this is a looong way from the topic of a nl4fx; the sure way to eliminate the speaker cable as an issue in the equasion; is to put the amp directly in the speaker keeping its connections as short as possible :)

also getting rid of the distortion inducing passive crossover & putting an amp on eachg speaker driver & using a high quality passive crossover rounds things up nicely.

so ironically, the best fidelity is going to come from powered speakers ! ;)
only theres not as much accessory money making potential for that in the hifi market.

for those otherwise inclined ..find a really, really good set of studio monitors ;)

btw most powered pa cabs suck; too many people are still unfortunately cutting too many corners to make them really, really good :/
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 6:13pm
i personally find the nl4fx easier to terminate than the fc, and i have no trouble using 4mm cable either. as has been said a few times now, just take the screw most of the way out and use a pokey thing to push the plate all the way back, the key is probably making sure the stripped section is long enough, if it doesn't bottom out in the pot the clamp doesn't seem to get a good grip.

no, my only beef is between the two versions of the fx: the later revision has a turned up grip on the release catch which makes for a really easy and positive action. the earlier, more rounded ones are harder to undo, particularly if they are in some inaccessible place or if the socket is a bit worn.

i have ep8s on my martin f2, the shroud doesn't seem to be big enough for the sheath of modern chunky speaker cable and i have ended up with slightly unsightly exposed sections, that said i won some absurdly large heat shrink sleeve from work so i can tidy them up a bit. they're ok to solder if your iron is man enough, i ended up having to use my old tin-man seal clubber to get enough heat...

i do not possess any of those 8 pole barrel connectors, but i do have a lot of 30 amp terminal strip...

james.
mardy hippy.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 6:33pm
oh, another thing whilst i remember.. most of the electron flow seems to occur on the outer surfaces of a given conductor :) ..thus for what its worth, coating copper in rare metals is liable to work just as well as using 100% ;)
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 6:55pm
Err, for certain parts of HF maybe but for bass the skin depth will be largely irrelevant and the full cable will be utilised.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 8:24pm
One point when it comes to mounting Speakon sockets. I've come across many which are mounted from behind the panel, using pan head screws. Due to the thickness of the panel, the Speakon plug catches on the top left screw as the connector is being engaged. Aside from making it difficult to engage/disengage the connectors, this will eventually wear out the keyways on both the socket and the plug.

I mount all my Speakons from the front when using panels which don't have countersunk holes. I'm using NL4MPR (with the big round flange) on my cabs.

As for the NL4FX, I've never had any problems with 4mm cable and I've made off a fair few. I agree with the suggestion of almost completely undoing the screws and pushing the tab up first - this makes things much easier. The tab is good because it stops the screw chewing up the strands of cable.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2008 at 10:20pm
Is it worth running with these cheap speakon look-a-likes @ £1.50 each on E-bay...

img329/6021/classd24polespeakerconnvi1.jpg

Anyone use them ?

or just run with genuine ones @ £3.25 each ?

img92/4324/neutriknl4fx02hi4.jpg

Could bulk buy & get the real ones for £2.04 each!

Edited by Tekasis - 22 July 2008 at 10:23pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 11:14am
not sure about the speakon rip offs, but the cheap neutrik xlr copies you get from thoman and such are very poor, the pieces dont mate with themselves to well, best to get the good stuff for speaker and amp connection maybe?

just my opinion

kev
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>