Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things to do on a sunday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 11:13am
Nice work,

I like your solution for the handles with the extra thick end panels.

How many watts are you going to feed each Ciare 12.00SW ?

Best regards,

Walt
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 2:34pm
Hello Walt, thanks for your comments - always good to hear from the designer!

Im using one channel of a lab gruppen 4000 or 6400 per twin bin ( same thing, just dependant on stock), so thats 2500w per bin, 1250w per driver

im not a huge fan of running kit too near the edge, so when ive got the time, and have built a few more of these, then im going to spend some time writing dedicated programs for my soundwebs to control the bins when used in different formats / stacks

Im going to incorporate voltage limiters into these programs so that power can be limited to the drivers in a safe way. A little bit of eq and high pass filtering will be incorporated, so once programmed, when ever a rig goes out, the approprate program can be chosen, loaded into the soundweb with all the correct protection, eq, and filtering to ensure the rig is run to its optimum.

just need to find my dummy load now...i seem to remember that people recommend approx 90v per driver - does this ring any bells with anyone?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 3:07pm
Would equate to 1000w a driver, and the aes test on the 12.00sw spec sheet says 90V so seems sencible.  Possably a bit less as the driver is in a small closed chamber, aes test was proberbly in a big vented box wich would alaw higher excursion/better cooling.  Can the soundwebs do RMS voltage limiting or just peak limiters? 

Sounds like a great idea, would be nice to know excursion vs power level vs frequency for different stack sizes to set limiters / dynamic eqs / HPF, then you could be really safe.  Proberbly worth doing if you making 12 boxs, though like you say you dont run close to the edge, it would be nice to know exactly where the edge is.

Edited by Timebomb - 11 October 2008 at 3:09pm
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 9:40pm
the soundwebs have what i consider the best brick wall limiter ive used - its not designed as a rms voltage limiter, but ive used it as such in the past and it seems to do a reasonable job. The audible action of the limiter is also quite kind if you program a slow release. perhaps not quite as good as an avc, but thats a different animal altogether.

thats a valid point regarding heat, but i suspect that ill end up with a limit of 85v or so. the limiters in my systems are very much last resort, as i have a policy of over specking rig sizes, and all large rigs go out with an engineer who is not afraid of dj's...

Im also interested in using the soundweb programs to deal with coupling effects with different size  arrays to ensure a flat response ( in an outside enviroment). nice to stsrt with a fairly flat response
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 3:45am
Soundweb standalone limiter modules are good, but aren't the ones in the crossover modules completely useless!  I've been changing systems over from the crossover limiters to the seperate ones and it makes a huge difference.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 5:20pm

The crossover limiters dont seem to be as good as the stand alone modules - not sure why, but i use separate limiters, and back the limiters on the crossovers out to +20 dbu.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 9:36pm
Exactly what I do nowadays....
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:28am

next batch in full production now!
should have 4 doubles to test next week. Im going to do some proper mesurements of a stack of 2 and 4 doubles, so we should be able to answer questions like " how low do these go" properly

nice to be making proper use of our new unit at last!
eltron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:34am
It might be hard to tell over the internet and all, but i'm drooling right now. There's something about freshly cut birch ply.

Looks awesome, hope they'll sound as nice as they look! Wink
Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 12:45am
coming along very nicely ! Clap 

When is the 12 going to be done... wouldn't mind poping down when 8 are finished Embarrassed 
Be good to hear how low they can really go
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 6:03pm

could you tell me what bit your using on that trimmer is it just one of these...

I want a trimmer, gotta make more sense than a massive router...

Edited by tomschute - 28 November 2008 at 6:03pm
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 6:46pm
yes - on a makita 3703 1/4 inch router. I much prefer small routers in general, and this unit is very well built with a nice small shoe for getting into corners
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>