Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whatever happened to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

Weighty, wasn't an early flar-e cab then?

28ish kilos each sounded really good though they had four of them in a club not far from me and with a couple of small bass cabs they were quite formidable for their size. 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Muckerbarnes1 Muckerbarnes1 wrote:

Old boys? Ha haa haa. Another name just cropped up. LAD . London Acoustical Developments. Forgot all about them. Has anyone heard of a speaker system called Gloster Gladiator?
W bin, 12' mid, 1" comp and tweeter. All RCF. A 3 box system. Made in Gloucester.

LAD, forgot about them too.  Had a pair of their direct drive decks about 20 years ago, preferred 1200/1210's to them.  Solid build though.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

And what about Red Acoustic's probably the first ever active speaker 300 watt per cab via 3 amp's one for each 8" bass driver and one for the tweeters oh and the cabs were made from steel.

used to have a pair of these, bloody heavy and bloody loud- glowed in the dark as well

Edited by woody2 - 03 May 2014 at 6:52pm
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 7:26pm
One of our early Exhibitions placed us opposite these guys, There demo was Joan Armatrading doing her hit. The sales guy was a typical sales guy and didn't know too much about speakers. The demo was a bit distorted because he was trying to be loud, and that was back in the '70's.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 9:19pm
[/QUOTE]

Geezers name was Brian Newman--shortish and bald--looked a bit like a mad professor but one of the nicest and most helpful blokes in the business in those days--we used to sell his range of decks in our two shops to offer an alternative to Citronic, Ice and Cloud--they were a bit old fashioned but very reliable, especially the real big console with built in amps, cassette deck and sound to light unit.
The Night Out certainly brings back some memories for me as we did loads of work there with some big name acts and then the Dome---It was a big shame when Barbarellas closed down as I loved that venue. [/QUOTE]

Do you mean the old Discosound Roadstar Robbo?, a big old beast, 4 foot wide and 57kgs!

I've had three of these stored away, but just hung on to one these days, its just too big and heavy to move single handed! Still got all the electronics from another one as well 'just in case'!
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:12am
MTR amplifiers. Anyone ever use them?

Many moons ago Mosfet amps.
Billy Dawg.
markshowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markshowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 6:14pm
Good to see all this about the old stuff, but not too much about the old Nottingham made original CARLSBRO gear. I still use a fair bit of this old kit on my retro disco show, it never lets me down, gets driven hard, and still turns a few heads!
          800 watt Mellors/Carlsbro Showman amp
          S800 stereo slave
          S600 stereo slave
          2 x 150w slaves built into my console
          pair Mellors/Carlsbro cabs with slatted fronts and Fane Colossus drivers
          pair 2x15 400 procabs
          pair 2x12 cabs
          pair 1x15 cabs
good old retro sound, never lets me down, sounds good
All with the original drivers, big and beautiful, wont ever change it. 
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 9:12pm
Mark can you post some photo's of the Mellors/carlsbro showman's kit as although I'm familiar with most of it I'm sure there are some on here that have never seen it.
Plus it would be nice to have some photo's for reference as this stuff is getting more of less extinct nowdays.

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markshowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2015 at 7:54pm
Hi Colin, here's some pictures of my original Carlsbro amps that I use on my show, hope these are OK for you. The SHOWMAN amp was a colaberation between Carlsbro and  Nottingham showman James Mellors, and were a special order items for the fairground. the amps had a custom made front end , coupled to the standard S800 slave amp, and the cases were a bit deeper, to acommodate the mixer front end. The inputs were for 2 magnetic cartridges via a rotary crossfader, 2 mic inputs, and yes the customary tape input. most of these amps were powered all of there working life from a generator, and survived the endless fluctuations in both voltage and cycles, and nearly 40 years on, I am still using the amp. Definitely says something about british amps.  I will post a picture of the speakers when I get a minute. 

markshowman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markshowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2015 at 8:04pm
sorry colin, for some reason it keeps coming up with an uploading error message, will try again
markshowman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718