Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xilica xp-4080

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 12:34pm
bit off topic but is the sound quality noticeably better on the xta units? Anyone compared them?

purple monkey dishwasher
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 12:50pm
No , nothing in it! 

I have had the chance to a/b them ( martin dx1.5 / xp4080 ) ! 

Just my view now and i have in no way a trained ear , but i did notice the difference when i 
moved from the dbx to the xilica . 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 1:40pm
people have criticised the xilica limiters, and praised the xta limiters. i haven't lost anything that's been behind a xilica limiter yet, nor xta..

i haven't any real criticism of the xilica limiters.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 2:40pm
The sound of the xta limiter is the sound of Funktion one!
LOL! -That's sucks, but it's often like that in Denmark.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
NathanShort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NathanShort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2015 at 7:23pm
If you are RELYING on the output limiters on these devices,  you are definitely doing yourself a disfavor.

The perfect setup for these is to use a Drawmer Speaker Protector,  as this stops all the assholes that scream into mics on the DJM 900.  This solves 95% of all service call problems.

The input is amazing as BSS, XTA, Ashley and others have no headroom.   I'm talking high end install.  The xilica allows me to just hit -14 on my input and BOOM  I have days of headroom to play with. 

Input compressor is set to quick attack like a limiter and 10:1  to catch abusive quick things.  And then I can almost always run my output limiters normally and they just catch the extra transients under HEAVY abuse situations. 

I can't speak highly enough of these the XD and the UNO series.  I have installed nearly 100 here in the USA and a couple in Mexico.  I have also been a key player in rewriting all the Uno software and GUI for the last 2 years.  As I installed the first unit ever,  and had to send them back 2 pages of bug notes.  We now in the Uno platform have a remarkable sounding easy to use DSP.  And at 1/2 the price of BSS, Biamp, and others,  I also think is sounds much better. 

P.S.  always remember to use a router , not just a switch...

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

― Vince Lombardi Jr.
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2015 at 7:33am
I recently picked up a XP 8080 from ebay what can i use all the inputs for ?...also what model does the void 'digidrives' come under.  Thanks.

The 'drunken master' strikes again.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2015 at 8:09am
think the void ones are dlp3060 / dlp4080
RemyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RemyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by discosucks discosucks wrote:

No , nothing in it! 

I have had the chance to a/b them ( martin dx1.5 / xp4080 ) ! 

Just my view now and i have in no way a trained ear , but i did notice the difference when i 
moved from the dbx to the xilica . 

what DBX did you A/B ?   Venu360 ?
stoneeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoneeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 10:21am
Regarding the limiters: if you really have to RELY on the limiters, meaning that they must protect against short term mechanical damage as well as long term overheating, you must know EXACTLY how they work.
In the case of the Xilica XP series, there is absolutely ZERO info in the manual and datasheet about the limiter mechanism.
Since we bought a XP-4080, we have been doing loopback measurements on the device.

This is a sine wave at 100hz, recorded in Audacity:

This is how the sine wave is cut off when setting an output limiter on the Xilica with a 100ms attack:

This is with a 10ms attack:

You cannot set the attack too low though, or the limiter will actually cut into the waveform, which will result in distorted sound:

Now as for the final test, we test how it responds to signals with vastly different density (music signal vs sine):

As we can see, it cuts off at a fixed point. So it is a pure PEAK limiter. If it had an RMS limiter function, it would cut off differently with varying signal density.

If you don't understand the difference, a peak limiter ONLY protects against short term mechanical damage. It will only cut of the peaks of the signal. If you increase the input, the peaks will be cut off, but the signal density will increase, meaning the average power going to the speakers, along with heat generated in the voice coil, will increase.
All in all, the limiter in the Xilica XP series does NOT completely protect the speakers!

Regarding sound quality: this is the reason we bought the XP-4080.
Before it, we had tested the Behringer DCX-2496, and several dbx driveracks (PA, PA+, PA2, Venu360). All of those had audible signal degradation. The DCX generally sounded a little flat, the PA and PA+ were missing definition in the highs, and with the PA2 and Venu360 basically everything was wrong.

The Xilica XP series is the only DSP so far that, when we put it in the signal chain, cannot hear the difference. Highly recommended!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 2:10pm
Now that's a nice review. Great job Clap
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Bumping this thread for a question.
Im thinking of getting a xp 4080 for home use, currently have a dcx offcourse.
For a pair of studio monitors and a sub, the dcx has audible idle noise .
Has anyone used a xp on a home system,it cant be worse than a dcx ?
Read some hifi forums they say its quiet as it gets but here tv00 says its a hf noise generator,so what is it?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:36pm
The Behringer is more or less okay until you EQ an bit of high in, than hiss goes up fast.
I never experiences that with either XTA or Xilica, to me both are about the same in that regard.
XTA's are still my favoured processors for my own use, but I have done a lot of installs with the Xilica's too (most are with XP4080) and always happy with the low level of noise/hiss they make, at whatever levels or EQ you put into use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>