Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XM15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XM15
    Posted: 05 September 2004 at 2:46pm

Just tried out this unit, was almost as loud as the PA, but with a 75W/4R amp!  Response was pretty flat too.  Well impressed.  Just a tad heavy for me at 29.0kg.

Thanks for an excellent design Rog.

Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2004 at 8:14pm
did you run them on the passive crossover or active?
Just wondering which to do myself.

Cheers Mal
Mal, how loud was that!!!!!!
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2004 at 10:49pm
@ Andrew: An upper class 15" + HF wedge at 29kg is too heavy for you? Show me a cab with that performance that is constructed of wood and below that weight..... Even most commercial wedges are heavier than that....
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 2:55am

Yep u can get some moulded polyproplene wedge cabs with that excellent response  --- Yorkville and RCF ART series

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 12:43pm

The monitor is extremely solid.  Possible weight savings are to use a Neo driver for the horn, and slightly thinner ply, I used 13 laminate 18mm.

The performance is exceptional, even though I used the passive crossover, and a T-amp!

It is so good that I hope to try putting it up a tower one day near the sweet spot, to contrast with the £4K house PA system, just for a laugh!

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 4:05pm

@ ToXiC: That's why I said 'constructed of wood' ;)

@ Andrew: Especially for 18mm laminate and 'non-neo' drivers 29kg is very lightweight. For a box like that 15mm laminate wood be good enough, but it wouldn't save THAT much. Neo drivers would be much better in weight terms, but they have some problems of their own...

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 5:01pm

I'm not aware of any problems with Neo drivers, other than the Bank Manager.  What are they?  My XM15 15" driver is a Neo, the horn driver is not.

I've built a 18mm HD15 with Eminence and two 15mm HD15 with P. Audio, and think the weight saving is worthwhile, for light duty use. 

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 5:07pm

Oh yeah, right, the 15" is of course a neo....

The problems with neodymium are that they can't take heat and they aren't shock-resistant. Both heat and shocks reduce the magnetic force with time. And neodymium loses its force faster than the conventional magnets even without using/'heating'/moving them....

The price difference isn't that big nowadays. Take a look at the 18Sound speakers. Neos are just a bit more expensive than conventional speakers and they make pretty good ones....

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 5:17pm
Has anyone lost say 3dB of output from a speaker, in practice, to due the various theoretical ways to reduce mangetism mentioned above?
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 5:51pm

Yes, but this isn't happening from one day to another. It's a slow process. You even won't notice because it's only a tiny bit everytime.

With HF drivers some other issues come with losing magnetism. The response changes and highs get muddy and mushy....

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 6:08pm
and i find neo compression drivers can often sound too harsh and strong motored.
but maybe thats just because we can't afford the sd750s that i really want...
 Post Reply Post Reply