Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT8 MK2 Horn Flare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XT8 MK2 Horn Flare
    Posted: 13 January 2014 at 1:05pm
The XT8 MK2 has sold out at Blue Aran. They do have the MK1's still in stock, I might have to look into creating my own Phase Plug.
There is no authority but yourself.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 2:55pm
Should still be nice without the phase plug, just need to cross over to the comp at a lower frequency.
If i remember correct the original X-tro design did not have a phase plug either. 
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 3:39pm
Mykey can make some for you.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by nativelayer nativelayer wrote:

The XT8 MK2 has sold out at Blue Aran. They do have the MK1's still in stock, I might have to look into creating my own Phase Plug.
Original will be OK.
nativelayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 5:58pm
Hi Mykey,

I take it you've moved on to the SP series horns now, no spare phase plugs lying around?
I imagine the SP-8 would mean a re-design of the whole box.
Sorry if I have got this wrong, I thought the phase plug came about to deal with the Xtro's mid range not performing that well - the original wooden horn wasn't quite enough?
I'm a newbie and love to learn Smile
Cheers
chris
There is no authority but yourself.
godge View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 7:31pm
Yes that' the reason why a fibre glass Horn with plug is better than the original wooden one. Get one if you can. Get a massive sound from them. Stable audio makes horns but I'm not sure how often
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 8:43pm

Hi Mykey,

I take it you've moved on to the SP series horns now, no spare phase plugs lying around?
Sorry if I have got this wrong, I thought the phase plug came about to deal with the Xtro's mid range not performing that well - the original wooden horn wasn't quite enough?
Cheers
chris
Original has a square throat and the XT8 has a round throat

I never got to hear the original. But many people were pleased with them. I believe Blue Aran are selling them at a good price so grab them while you can
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 8:45pm

Hi Mykey,

Cheers
chris
I can manufacture the XT8 here. SP8 is a larger horn with a lower cut off. Looks totally different
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 8:47pm
My memory may be wrong but last time I compared the two, I thought the original which was more like a fibreglass version of the Xtro horn would probably have better dispersion control than the MkII with the phase plug.  When I tried the MkII, I found it beamed quite badly at the top end, leading me to the conclusion that I'd probably have to cross it over below 2kHz anyway.  Drop it a bit lower and you might as well just use the non-phase plugged version and get more even coverage.

I have a pair of early MkII XT8's which I'm not entirely sure what to do with.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 9:24pm
Sell them to nativelayer Chris ; )
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 12:02am
Not a ridiculous idea!  I had great plans to build a 2x12" + 8" + 1" mid-top but it never quite happened and now I don't do any gigs big enough to make it worthwhile...
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 12:18am
Just sell them Chris.... they will have a good home and you will have smaller piles of stuff to store!

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>