Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie building 186 Horns *** Finished *** :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 7:13pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 7:21pm
I wore one of those once, very uncomfortable.
music is the message
Fabianm_be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 7:52am
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

that truss build really scares me...

whats stopping it falling backwards/forwards [and holding the pieces together!]... hopefully not just those cableties/straps onto the railingsOuch. Like the creativity [layout], HATE the rigging. So damn unsafe, not to mention careless.

If you want to do this kind of thing, get some swivel clamps at least, so the thing can be clamped together properly - and actually resemble something load bearing. They are cheap and common - used by scaffolders, absolutely no excuse here. Leave the cable ties for.... *cable tieing* and use clamps for *clamping*! Also build a proper base for the thing [using truss baseplates] so it cannot tip forwards or backwards.

try getting the midtops up higher next time too....

sorry to be harsh, i can see you put a lot of effort in, the lighting and set looks awesome, but the little things cannot be ignored!

I 100% agree with you, they did too many wrong stuffs with the trussing. I will request they buy clamps like you suggested.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Gfoster Gfoster wrote:

I am looking to build the SMT 212's however in a single driver version, so looking forward to seeing your pictures, what drivers etc have you got?

The wood working will start Today and I will create a post for that.

I will use:

- 2 Compression P Audio BM-D750 Serie 2 http://www.p-audio.co.uk/pdf/BM-D750.pdf
ClubJDj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClubJDj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2014 at 4:15pm
Hello!

Is it possible to get your Sketchup Drawings?

kind Regards!
izzzzzz6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izzzzzz6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 7:34am
How is the building of the tops going? I would imagine that the midrange from those horns would be very powerful but you may find that they lack a little brightness with out boosting the gain around 17-20k, i would recommended several smaller compression drivers 1" or 1.5" rather than a single 2" or a combination of both so you have more control. many 1" compression drivers can really change the sound if setup correctly. A favourite layout of mine on smaller speakers is a mini array of tweeters usually 2 in series and two in parallel, 16 total if you like for more control and power but it starts to get expensive and difficult to build. With larger applications i'm thinking 4x 1" compression drivers would make a nice job. 2 sets in parallel and those two sets in series to retain the original impedance but increase power handling. The other advantage with using 4 1" compression drivers in one cab is that the horns can be splayed out at different angles to get a greater coverage in the room. (which is kind of necessary to avoid interference patterns, this also depends on the shape of the horns used).
Sound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 9:31am
Hello izzzzzz6,

all your concerns are logical but I buit the top already a few months ago and we are very happy of the result: http://forum.speakerplans.com/smt-212-building_topic86007.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456